• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Idle Pallets

What do you do in a building with no fire sprinkler system.

From an insurance AHJ point of view....nothing!!

The risk is not receiving any credit ie lower insurance premium since they have no sprinkler system so they are paying more $$. I would be more concerned about exterior exposures particularly occupied such as a hotel, nursing home, etc. if we are providing liability coverage. I would recommend a Prefire plan for the FD and evaluate the available water supply.

According to one of the fire marshals in So. California....do the math

TABLE 307.1(1) MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREA OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS POSING A PHYSICAL HAZARD
Flammable solid- Solid pounds (cubic feet) 125
A standard wooden pallet (48″ x 40″ x 6″) approximately 33 lbs. to 48 lbs.

According to one of the fire marshals in So. California....do the math

TABLE 307.1(1) MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREA OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS POSING A PHYSICAL HAZARD
Flammable solid- Solid pounds (cubic feet) 125
A standard wooden pallet (48″ x 40″ x 6″) approximately 33 lbs. to 48 lbs.

Person, got the model 1000 code stretcher out for that one

FLAMMABLE SOLID. A solid, other than a blasting agent or explosive, that is capable of causing fire through friction, absorption of moisture, spontaneous chemical change or retained heat from manufacturing or processing, or which has an ignition temperature below 212°F (100°C) or which burns so vigorously and persistently when ignited as to create a serious hazard. A chemical shall be considered a flammable solid as determined in accordance with the test method of CPSC 16 CFR Part 1500.44, if it ignites and burns with a self-sustained flame at a rate greater than 0.0866 inch (2.2 mm) per second along its major axis

FLAMMABLE SOLID. A solid, other than a blasting agent or explosive, that is capable of causing fire through friction, absorption of moisture, spontaneous chemical change or retained heat from manufacturing or processing, or which has an ignition temperature below 212°F (100°C) or which burns so vigorously and persistently when ignited as to create a serious hazard. A chemical shall be considered a flammable solid as determined in accordance with the test method of CPSC 16 CFR Part 1500.44, if it ignites and burns with a self-sustained flame at a rate greater than 0.0866 inch (2.2 mm) per second along its major axis
That's why I let the fire department deal with it.

Reactions: cda
From the inspection side we've typically tried to move the owners towards stacking them outside, away from buildings and lot lines, at approp. separation distances if the building is unsprinklered. I get where CDA is coming from but our experience is that when you explain the limitations on height (6') and the requirements for separation of the stacks it becomes such an inefficient use of the SF the owner has under roof that they look for a solution to minimize the number of pallets they need on hand or they get them outside. That said it's a constant enforcement problem to keep them on task.

The actual pallet companies that are building and rehabbing pallets is another story Their operation only works efficiently if they can stack them at the height that will fit inside a tractor trailer or at the max height they load on a flat bed trailer, which will always be taller than 6' They pop up in our jurisdiction over night and typically in whatever previously vacant warehouse structure they can find and typically unsprinklered. When I was still doing routine inspections I could typically just follow the first beat up pickup truck with 2 dozen old pallets strapped to it to the newest location.

The first one that I remember burning when I came on the job was relatively small by comparison to some (under 10,000sf) 5 blocks from the nearest station, came in as a report of a small fire in a storage closet in the warehouse area, less than 3 minute response time, and fire already pushing out of the eaves on arrival. I've seen two operations burn to the ground in our jurisdiction in the last 20 years. They were spectacular shows that fortunately were isolated from any surrounding structures.

Boy I wish I had known about the code strecher - we always ribbed rookies about going to get the hose stretcher when a hose line was short.....

Besides, I don't think that the federal government has an UN number for idle pallets as a flammable solid -

Boy I wish I had known about the code strecher - we always ribbed rookies about going to get the hose stretcher when a hose line was short.....

Besides, I don't think that the federal government has an UN number for idle pallets as a flammable solid -

I have a slightly used 2010 code stretcher for sale. I upgraded to the 2020 model

bet it isn't as well built and won't hold up to as much abuse.....

That was mine experience with newer fire trucks vs. the 69 American LaFrance or the 75 Mack CF600 than ran no matter what ---

Yep,,, This one has darn Plastic