• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What defines inaccessible space?

Benj

I am in the process of permitting a Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit (Backyard Cottage) in Seattle. The cottage is 1000 sq ft (per Seattle's limit) and is designed with a shed roof. Most of the space is open to the shed roof ceiling which is 10' on one side and 16' on the other, but there is an 8' ceiling over the center third of the area covering the two bathrooms and one bedroom. My intent is for this to be "inaccessible space" so that it does not count toward the 1000 sq ft limit but leave it open on one side for aesthetic reasons. However, the plan reviewer is insisting that "for the space to be considered inaccessible it will need to be enclosed and become an attic". Is this accurate? If there is no stairway accessing it, isn't it inaccessible? What defines "inaccessible space"?

PS...here are the section drawings ...
Zwsm0gH

The answer most likely will be found in the local zoning regulations not a pure building code question

I am in the process of permitting a Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit (Backyard Cottage) in Seattle. The cottage is 1000 sq ft (per Seattle's limit) and is designed with a shed roof. Most of the space is open to the shed roof ceiling which is 10' on one side and 16' on the other, but there is an 8' ceiling over the center third of the area covering the two bathrooms and one bedroom. My intent is for this to be "inaccessible space" so that it does not count toward the 1000 sq ft limit but leave it open on one side for aesthetic reasons. However, the plan reviewer is insisting that "for the space to be considered inaccessible it will need to be enclosed and become an attic". Is this accurate? If there is no stairway accessing it, isn't it inaccessible? What defines "inaccessible space"?

You need to ask the nice plan reviewer what sections he is citeing for the requirements
And or if it is a local requirement

Than post those here or link to them
So can be researched

Seems like it would read 1000 sq ft footprint??

And not include what usable space there is inside that footprint

As long as you comply with height limit

AADU in a single-family home may be no larger than 1,000 square feet, excluding garage area, unless the area of the home where the AADU is located existed as of December 31, 2017.

Plan reviewer reaching?? Need what he is saying your set up is not good.

Last edited:
Even a 1,000 sf rental need some storage space. I'm sure the ceiling joist were calculated for storage and even if they were not light storage would probably be no problem. I think this is a zoning or muni code issue IMO, I for one would not calculate that space and add it to the square footage total.

Is he afraid your going to add a bed?

Thanks all for the responses. The response came form the structural reviewer, not the zoning reviewer, so I don't think it is a land use issue specific to ADUs.

Thanks all for the responses. The response came form the structural reviewer, not the zoning reviewer, so I don't think it is a land use issue specific to ADUs.

You need to ask the nice plan reviewer what sections he is citeing for the requirements

Some people like to ask for stuff, or mis do what the code says.

What possible aesthetic reason would you have?
You will also need to heat and cool that space... looks like you are trying to circumvent the code.
If you are a licensed designer, you could be held liable when the person sleeping on that inaccessible mezanine dies.

What possible aesthetic reason would you have?
You will also need to heat and cool that space... looks like you are trying to circumvent the code.
If you are a licensed designer, you could be held liable when the person sleeping on that inaccessible mezanine dies.

Space above RR suggests it could become a future mezzanine with many uses.
If not used it becomes a dust collector.

I had to go back and read the description again. So the center section if the cottage is restrooms with a hard ceiling, and one side of the attic has a full height wall, but on the other side the rafters are exposed. How in the world could you consider that inaccessible? It’s loft space.

I would also be curious to hear more about the storage basement. No floor plan is attached so there is no indication of how the basement is accessed, but it appears to be 1,000 sf just like the living space, and the headroom appears to be about 7 ft. Wonder how long it will be after the CofO is issued before they start finishing out the basement.

Even a 1,000 sf rental need some storage space. I'm sure the ceiling joist were calculated for storage and even if they were not light storage would probably be no problem. I think this is a zoning or muni code issue IMO, I for one would not calculate that space and add it to the square footage total.

I'm with you. I would be way more concerned with the basement!!
Is the basement counted as square footage=no from the looks of thing you have more than 500 on the main floor.
IMHO inaccessible mean CAN NOT access.
If you consider the open area a loft, still don't see why its not allowed if you can have the basement.

Regarding the basement, Seattle's new ADU rules (effective July 2019) do not count storage space against the 1000 sf max. Storage space is defined as space that cannot be accessed from within the ADU. In this case, the access to the basement is an exterior stairwell, but there are no stairs inside.

Regarding the loft/attic/inaccessible space...if the intent was to circumvent the code and use it as a loft, that could be done with an access door in the wall anyway, so why would it matter if it is walled off?

Regarding the basement, Seattle's new ADU rules (effective July 2019) do not count storage space against the 1000 sf max. Storage space is defined as space that cannot be accessed from within the ADU. In this case, the access to the basement is an exterior stairwell, but there are no stairs inside.

Regarding the loft/attic/inaccessible space...if the intent was to circumvent the code and use it as a loft, that could be done with an access door in the wall anyway, so why would it matter if it is walled off?

Agree

Need to get the plan reviewer to clear up,,,,

Via giving you code to back up comment,,,

If can’t be done, tell him to get the approve stamp out and hit it!!!

Feel the love

Agree

Need to get the plan reviewer to clear up,,,,

Via giving you code to back up comment,,,

If can’t be done, tell him to get the approve stamp out and hit it!!!

Feel the love
I snet the question to the reviewer. I'll let you know what I hear.

Response from the reviewer...

"My supervisor reviewed your specific situation and request. Based on a code interpretation meeting that we've had on this subject in the past, it was decided that for your situation we can allow up to 200 sf of inaccessible loft space to be open to the main living area. The rest of the area will need to be walled off and become attic space. "

I'm not sure how they came up with 200 sf. Seems fairly arbitrary but it works for me.

"My supervisor reviewed your specific situation and request. Based on a code interpretation meeting that we've had on this subject in the past, it was decided that for your situation we can allow up to 200 sf of inaccessible loft space to be open to the main living area. The rest of the area will need to be walled off and become attic space. "

I'm not sure how they came up with 200 sf. Seems fairly arbitrary but it works for me.

GOOD!!!

Than I don’t have to send you my “”” 2020 Code Buster”””

Go forth and build

200 may equate to one bedroom/ occupant load

So they are allowing you one more person