• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Home made garage-house door

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Hi folks. I have a 4' wide opening from my garage into a utility room. I need a door that can pass for opening protection between the house and garage here. I need to keep the 4' wide opening for the working space for the heater and water heater. Rather then getting 4' wide custom made door I would like to make one myself.

A solid wood door needs to be 1-1/4" thick per code so I was thinking of attaching three 7/8" OSB sheets together for the door slab. Because of the weight of this door I can cut it in half and have two leafs. Of course I will weatherstrip it.

Does someone have a better idea?

Not a carpenter,

Use a regular size door.

But a removable piece in for the rest of the space/ filler.

And in ten years when you have to change something out, take the spacer out and open the door.

Or if you are in an area that resales surplus building materials, just buy a used door.

Not a carpenter,

Use a regular size door.

But a removable piece in for the rest of the space/ filler.

And in ten years when you have to change something out, take the spacer out and open the door.

Or if you are in an area that resales surplus building materials, just buy a used door.

inspector won't approve the removable space/filler in the required work space. Also need to change the filter in the heater and the heatpump water heater regularly.

inspector won't approve the removable space/filler in the required work space. Also need to change the filter in the heater and the heatpump water heater regularly.

But do you need a four foot door to do that??

We are talking about a house

If you only use the door to service the equipment, i would consider a pair of 24” doors. They would take up less swing space when open than a 4 ft leaf.

If you can get the inspector to sign off as an approved alternative, maybe. May want to use fire retardant plywood and still needs to be self closing so might require a closure instead of spring hinges.

If you can get the inspector to sign off as an approved alternative, maybe. May want to use fire retardant plywood and still needs to be self closing so might require a closure instead of spring hinges.

Why self closing?
Code section

California Building Code:

406.3.2.1 Dwelling unit separation. The private garage shall be separated from the dwelling unit and its attic area by means of gypsum board, not less than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in thickness, applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than a 5/8- inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent and 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to structures supporting the separation from habitable rooms above the garage. Door openings between a private garage and the dwelling unit shall be equipped with either solid wood doors or solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (34.9 mm) in thickness, or doors in compliance with Section 716.2.2.1 with a fire protection rating of not less than 20 minutes. Doors shall be self-closing and self-latching.

California Residential Code:

R302.5.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb- core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with self-closing or automatic-closing and self-latching device.

Exception: Where the residence and the private garage are protected by an automatic residential fire sprinkler system in accordance with Sections R309.6 and R313, other door openings between the private garage and the residence need only be self-closing and self-latch- ing. This exception shall not apply to rooms used for sleeping purposes.

The garage communicates with a utility room ......does the utility room communicate with the dwelling? My first thought on an OSB door is that OSB is wood shavings and glue. Solid wood it is not.

Last edited:
If you only use the door to service the equipment, i would consider a pair of 24” doors. They would take up less swing space when open than a 4 ft leaf.

I would love that but I can't find a 24" wide that complies to code (at least 1-3/8" thick solid wood or honeycombed steel). I would like an insulated door if possible. I'm not paying for a custom made door.
This would be considered house/garage wall because this utility room has an air return opening into the house and is part of the conditioned space.

I did a search for CDF steel doors, they have a menu system you can work through. If i can remember from 5 min ago ... i entered 60 min doors, metal clad, pair of 2x6-8 in 4 ft opening, for wood stud wall, etc ... and I want to say the price was a little over $200.

As usual we need to know more info then initially provided. He also could have gone to 13/4' vs 13/8".

The self closing device has been in the IRC since 2012 that I am aware of

2018 IRC
R302.5.1 Opening protection.
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycombcore steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing or automatic-closing device.

2012 IRC
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing device.

The self closing device has been in the IRC since 2012 that I am aware of

2018 IRC
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycombcore steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing or automatic-closing device.

2012 IRC
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing device.

My state amendmented this section out.

2019 California Residential Code:

R302.5.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches in thickness, solid or honeycomb- core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with self-closing or automatic-closing and self-latching device.

Exception: Where the residence and the private garage are protected by an automatic residential fire sprinkler system in accordance with Sections R309.6 and R313, other door openings between the private garage and the residence need only be self-closing and self-latching. This exception shall not apply to rooms used for sleeping purposes.

R309.6 Fire sprinklers, attached garages, and carports with habitable space above. Attached garages and carports with habitable space above shall be protected by fire sprinklers in accordance with this section and Section R313.

R313.2 One- and two-family dwellings automatic fire sprinkler systems. An automatic residential fire sprinkler system shall be installed in one- and two-family dwellings