• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC Facebook - No longer a building safety organization

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
As if my last post about dropping ICC membership altogether wasn't indicative enough as to my general insouciance with the organization...... Have you noticed that their Facebook posts have absolutely nothing to do with building safety? The last several are architectural in nature, showcasing repurposed buildings, etc. It only goes to reinforce with me that no one in that whole DC or Chicago office has any background in Code, and the organization has zero relevance to building safety any longer. Is it just me?

As if my last post about dropping ICC membership altogether wasn't indicative enough as to my general insouciance with the organization...... Have you noticed that their Facebook posts have absolutely nothing to do with building safety? The last several are architectural in nature, showcasing repurposed buildings, etc. It only goes to reinforce with me that no one in that whole DC or Chicago office has any background in Code, and the organization has zero relevance to building safety any longer. Is it just me?

I don't know if you have noticed or not but I have stopped coming around here, the main reason being that the ICC is no-longer a code organization like the ICBO was, but now a worthless rubber stamp for government agencies.

I am not a huge ICC fan but If you look at the Facebook page, and not what Facebook puts on your feed you will see a lot a different story.

How does their Mission Statement read?
Mission:
To provide the highest quality codes, standards, products and services for all concerned with the safety and performance of the built environment.

Performance of the built environment.
  • that includes Energy
  • that includes the Green codes

Domenic Sims, current ICC CEO, worked in a building dept. once upon a time, but few others among the 100s of employees did anymore. Blame goes to the ICC board who brought in a Clinton buddy followed by a congressional aide to run the business. Both steered ICC from safe construction to other pursuits. Sims could lead them back but he doesn’t have many there that share his experiences.

The ICC bureaucracy will be hard to clear out. Draining the swamp starts with electing reform-minded board members.