• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Construction Trailer Accessibility Single Family Home

jar546

Forum Coordinator
For a large, long-term project to construct one single-family home on a residential lot, does a construction trailer have to be accessible with a ramp like a commercial project?

Nope....

1103.2.5 Construction Sites
Structures, sites and equipment directly associated with the actual processes of construction including, but not limited to, scaffolding, bridging, materials hoists, materials storage or
construction trailers are not required to comply with this chapter.
And for any nay-sayers, I'd argue that the IBC applies because the use is not residential, but commercial. The trailer is used for storage, meetings, etc. essential to the construction of a SFD. It is not a part of the residential use, therefore the IRC does not apply.

I like your thinking, but I am IRC....

R101.2 Scope. The provisions of the International Residential
Code
for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to
the construction,
alteration, movement, enlargement,
replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location,
removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family
dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above
grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and
their accessory structures
not more than three stories above
grade plane in height.

I think the end result is the same......Exempt...

I like your thinking, but I am IRC....

R101.2 Scope. The provisions of the International Residential
Code
for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to
the construction,
alteration, movement, enlargement,
replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location,
removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family
dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above
grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and
their accessory structures
not more than three stories above
grade plane in height.

I think the end result is the same......Exempt...
Not that it matters... but a construction trailer does not, in my opinion, meet the definition of an accessory structure. It is not incidental to the occupancy of the home. Furthermore, as the home is not built, it cannot be accessory.

[RB] ACCESSORY STRUCTURE. A structure that is accessory to and incidental to that of the dwelling(s) and that is located on the same lot.

All commercial construction trailers that I have encountered always had ADA access. It is rare to have one for a single family home. I am not talking about a large residential development where there is a construction trailer for a large tract of homes being built. I would think that since this is a job that qualifies under the IRC or FBC Residential, it is exempt. I may be wrong but that is not an education opinion as I have not read anything that concurs with my personal opinion.

Not that it matters... but a construction trailer does not, in my opinion, meet the definition of an accessory structure. It is not incidental to the occupancy of the home. Furthermore, as the home is not built, it cannot be accessory.

[RB] ACCESSORY STRUCTURE. A structure that is accessory to and incidental to that of the dwelling(s) and that is located on the same lot.

A construction trailer for a house does not exist without the intent of constructing a house....Incidental to the construction of the house....

I have never seen a construction trailer with a ADA ramp. I have seen large single and double wide office trailers on site where a few of them installed a ramp.
If the ramp is not there who will be negatively effected and who will complain.

In California and I suspect other states Construction trailers are not governed by the building code but by other laws. The access to the trailer may be regulated by diferent laws.

Yeah, no. Never seen a construction trailer with a ramp, and wouldn't ever force anybody to build one. There's nothing in any code I've ever read that should make anyone come to the conclusion that a ramp could be required.

Yeah, no. Never seen a construction trailer with a ramp, and wouldn't ever force anybody to build one. There's nothing in any code I've ever read that should make anyone come to the conclusion that a ramp could be required.

What about all of those "because I said so" guys?

I'm not one of them, and I can't think like them, so I don't know what you do about 'em. Most jobsites have hammers laying around; perhaps they could be deployed for uses other than driving nails??

At a large warehouse construction site where I am working (got permission to work by the state through the COVID-19) there are a few construction trailers without a ramp and one with a ramp that the sales people use .

"Sales trailer on construction site ? accessibility required?"

I wouldn't consider it a sales trailer just because a few product reps call on the job superintendent.

Sales trailers for the public are usually located away from daily construction activities for safety reasons. In any case, the OP said this is "to construct one single-family home on a residential lot"

"Sales trailer on construction site ? accessibility required?"

I wouldn't consider it a sales trailer just because a few product reps call on the job superintendent.

Sales trailers for the public are usually located away from daily construction activities for safety reasons. In any case, the OP said this is "to construct one single-family home on a residential lot"
Since this SFD isn't out of the ground yet, the concept of a construction trailer is more the exception than the rule, even remotely an accessible requirement , though on a sizeable custom home, makes sense to have a temp shelter on private land, but accessible, not enforceable from the code, even with ICC A117.1-2009, there is no requirement for residential homes. What we see and require if they turn a model home's garage into a sales office is an accessible route from driveway thru the door into the sales area, nothing more. Treat it as commercial in this instance...

I have never seen a construction trailer with a ADA ramp. I have seen large single and double wide office trailers on site where a few of them installed a ramp.
If the ramp is not there who will be negatively effected and who will complain.

Disabled subs and venders.

When I built my house, I bought a 14' camping trailer to use as an office/storage.......sorry, forgot to install the never to be needed ramp. Seriously, one SFD, one "construction trailer", needs accessibility???

Disabled subs and venders.
Never seen a disabled sub who required a ramp to access a construction site same with a vendor. The basic minimum physical requirements to do their jobs would be walking and perhaps climbing and crawling much like an inspector. So unless it is an onsite office trailer then a ramp would not be required.

I was doing inspections for several new construction projects for a school district. Many of the trailers were double-wide with offices and personnel. Regular staff that reported to work every day and worked on a computer and never left the trailer to walk on the construction site. All trailers had ramps. Were they being proactive or is there a requirement?

IMHO what jar describe is not a construction trailer it is an onsite office trailer. Now these small 20 foot trailers with 12 feet of storage and an 8 ft office space for the onsite super would be the typical construction trailer and a ramp would not be required
40 ft semis sitting 4 feet in the air and storing tools and supplies is a construction trailer. no ramp required.