• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinklers Needed for Splitting Units? (High-Rise)

DugArch89

In Chicago, IL we are renovating a 16-story (high-rise) building that is not sprinklered. On each floor 2-14, there is a single 5-bedroom apartment that is being split into two dwelling units (adding 13 dwelling units)
This only involves a new entry door to the existing corridor and a new partition wall in each unit.
While relatively minor, would this trigger having to install a new sprinkler system in the newly created unit (within the work area) or would this be able to be achieved through the prescriptive method and avoid sprinklers?

In Chicago, IL we are renovating a 16-story (high-rise) building that is not sprinklered. On each floor 2-14, there is a single 5-bedroom apartment that is being split into two dwelling units (adding 13 dwelling units)
This only involves a new entry door to the existing corridor and a new partition wall in each unit.
While relatively minor, would this trigger having to install a new sprinkler system in the newly created unit (within the work area) or would this be able to be achieved through the prescriptive method and avoid sprinklers?
Not an expert with regards to Chicago (which has its own building code), but I am quite amazed that this building is non-sprinkled.

You will definitely want to speak to the AHJ, as I anticipate that there are things at play that us here on the forum are not aware of. IMHO, you will most likely be adding a sprinkler system to at least these two units.

You may also want to look into getting a copy of the Chicago Building Rehabilitation Code, which would apply to this proposed scope of work.

Thanks for the reply, we have meetings with the city scheduled, but trying to do our due diligence before we get too deep.

A couple notes:
Chicago just recently adopted the 1018 IEBC (though with some significant amendments) for their rehab code.
Building was built in 1926 and Chicago has exceptions for R-2 occupancies remaining unsprinklered.
Building is of Type 1 construction, all masonry (clay tile) interior walls w/lath & plaster

Do they have a high rise retro fire sprinkler ordinance?

May not be required per the work you are doing, but some cities are doing retro for high rises, with maybe giving them time to do it.

I am thinking if no retro, seems like just splitting a unit would not require sprinklers,

They are a dwelling yesterday, and when you split them, they are still a dwelling.

I am pro sprinklers, especially with a high rise,

But if they say sprinkle you say give me the code sections, where you get the requirement, so you can study the wording, to see if they are applying it correctly, and applying it city wide. !!!

I have permitted some ridiculous stuff in Chicago that exiting wise would never be allowed in any other city. I would not stamp the plans. They did not need to be stamped.

From what was posted above you would be over the floor requirements and would have 2 tenant per floor. I say sprinklers.

IMHO should be sprinkled no matter what. Exit size might be an issue since you would be increasing the occupant load.