• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bunsen Burner

cda

Sawhorse 123
Not sure what code it falls under?

So is a Bunsen Burner a "fuel burning appliance"????

[M] APPLIANCE. Any apparatus or device that utilizes a fuel or raw material to produce light, heat, power, refrigeration or air conditioning.

Why the question???

Are CO detectors required in a classroom with natural gas Robert Bunsen burners???

915.1.4 Fuel-Burning Appliances Outside of Dwelling Units, Sleeping Units and Classrooms

Carbon monoxide detection shall be provided in dwelling units, sleeping units and classrooms located in buildings that contain fuel-burning appliances or fuel-burning fireplaces.

Does it matter that no one is sleeping in the classroom? Well, not supposed to be sleeping, unless the professor drones on and on and on ....

Are CO detectors required in a classroom with natural gas Robert Bunsen burners???
My gut says no Bunsen burners alone do not trigger CO detection in a school.
Would you require them in the home economics class room where a gas stove or oven is used?

Fuel Burning Appliances that are not automatically controlled by a thermostat and do not produce heat for environmental comfort IMHO do not trigger the CO detector requirements in the code.

My gut says no Bunsen burners alone do not trigger CO detection in a school.
Would you require them in the home economics class room where a gas stove or oven is used?

Fuel Burning Appliances that are not automatically controlled by a thermostat and do not produce heat for environmental comfort IMHO do not trigger the CO detector requirements in the code.

They "still" teach Home Ec?

My gut wants to go with MT, but I couldn't exempt the gas range, so not sure about the burners. I would ask my fire guys.

I would not exempt a house with a gas cook stove under R315, so no home-ec exemption either....20 bunsen burners are probably less than one range or oven....

# ~ #

Suppose one or more of those Bunsen burners has
one of their valves left open, but the flame is not burning ?
Now, would you require the CO Detectors ?

Regardless of how much safety attempts are made,
some of the burner valves "could" be left open, and have
raw gas being discharged in to the classroom.

# ~ #

# ~ #

Suppose one or more of those Bunsen burners has
one of their valves left open, but the flame is not burning ?
Now, would you require the CO Detectors ?

Regardless of how much safety attempts are made,
some of the burner valves "could" be left open, and have
raw gas being discharged in to the classroom.

# ~ #
A CO detector would not detect the flow of gas without flame. You'd have an explosion potential if enough gas were to flow unrestricted without combustion, but even in this condition, a CO detector would do nothing.

Not sure what the relation is, and why the concern of a valve left open and a CO detector.

When I worked for the Virginia Community College System all laboratories were required to have a gas shutoff valve for each laboratory with gas hookups, and the instructor was required to be sure it was turned off before locking up the lab at the end of classes.

Still required under today's code

2018 IFGC
409.6 Shutoff valve for laboratories.
Where provided with two or more fuel gas outlets, including table-, bench- and hood-mounted outlets, each laboratory space in educational, research, commercial and industrial occupancies shall be provided with a single dedicated shutoff valve through which all such gas outlets shall be supplied. The dedicated shutoff valve shall be readily accessible, located within the laboratory space served, located adjacent to the egress door from the space and shall be identified by approved signage stating “Gas Shutoff.”