• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Extent of sprinker installtion under level 3 alteration and partial change of occupancy

Maybe this:

(Amd) 13.2.3.6.1 Every assembly occupancy shall be provided with a main entrance/exit. With respect to the capacity of such main entrance/exit, the requirements of section 29-381a of the 84 Connecticut General Statutes shall supersede the requirements of Sections 13.2.3.6.2 to 13.2.3.6.4, inclusive.

I don't have a copy of 101 here, but this does seem to indicate that it is a violation if there is not a "main exit" ....That is a lot of violations.....

yah, I found that nugget yesterday. Below is the applicable CT general statute. The way I read this statute we should not have to do anything because the existing gym was built prior to 2004 and has not been renovated or altered after 2004. Based on some additional conversations with the FM he is applying this statute to the entire building because we are changing the occupancy of part of the building. This is an uphill battle that I'm not sure we are going to win.

CT Gen Stat § 29-381a (2013)

(a) Each place of public assembly, as defined in the Fire Safety Code, constructed under a building permit application filed on or after June 8, 2004, or renovated under a building permit application filed on or after said date to increase capacity or change its occupancy, as defined in the State Building Code, that has a single main entrance shall have such main entrance sufficient to allow the emergency exit of two-thirds of the capacity of such place of assembly.

(b) The State Fire Marshal or the State Building Inspector may grant variations or exemptions from, or approve equivalent or alternate compliance with, the requirement in subsection (a) of this section where strict compliance with such requirement would entail practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship, or is otherwise adjudged unwarranted, provided the intent of the provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall be observed and public welfare and safety be assured. Any such determination by the State Fire Marshal or the State Building Inspector shall be in writing. Any person aggrieved by any decision of the State Fire Marshal or the State Building Inspector may appeal to the Codes and Standards Committee within fourteen days after mailing of the decision. Any person aggrieved by any ruling of the Codes and Standards Committee may appeal to the superior court for the judicial district wherein the place of assembly concerned is located.

or renovated under a building permit application filed on or after said date to increase capacity or change its occupancy,

They would yell at me for stretching that far but I will pass this info along to my FM's that this is how the State wants this enforced.....You are not increasing the capacity or changing the occupancy of the gym....

If the State is the landlord and the AHJ, it seems they want it and will pay for it....Let them...?

If the State is the landlord and the AHJ, it seems they want it and will pay for it....Let them...?

This is bonded project with a set budget, so yes they are technically paying for it, but at the expense of project scope with in the intended renovation.