• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Speakeasy

We have an A2 (restaurant & bar) on the main level. It has a small basement they want to use as a bar. It is well under the 3000ft². By my understanding, the basement would not require an accessible route. In this case, the establishment is under one owner and connected, even though the lower bar will be separate from the upper bar. Drinkers have a choice to go in the main floor or the basement, the booze is coming from the same establishment.

I have seen enforcement of this vary from 1) acceptable as long as the same services are provided on both levels, to 2) acceptable even if a completely different service as long as the exception is met, to 3) not allowed at all without an accessible route. My understanding is that it is acceptable, no matter what the service, if it meets the criteria in the exception.

You misunderstood, but maybe I should have been more clear. I do understand the aggregate area requirement, that if for example, the basement was 1500ft², and a third floor was 2000ft², the aggregate would be 3500ft² and one of the two levels would then be required to have an accessible route. That is not the case here.

We have an A2 (restaurant & bar) on the main level. It has a small basement they want to use as a bar. It is well under the 3000ft². By my understanding, the basement would not require an accessible route. In this case, the establishment is under one owner and connected, even though the lower bar will be separate from the upper bar. Drinkers have a choice to go in the main floor or the basement, the booze is coming from the same establishment.

I have seen enforcement of this vary from 1) acceptable as long as the same services are provided on both levels, to 2) acceptable even if a completely different service as long as the exception is met, to 3) not allowed at all without an accessible route. My understanding is that it is acceptable, no matter what the service, if it meets the criteria in the exception.

You misunderstood, but maybe I should have been more clear. I do understand the aggregate area requirement, that if for example, the basement was 1500ft², and a third floor was 2000ft², the aggregate would be 3500ft² and one of the two levels would then be required to have an accessible route. That is not the case here.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying.