• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deck attached to porch

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I have someone building a screened in porch with a deck attached to the porch. I consider the porch to be an addition. Code calls it a sun room. Both share the same floor framing including the piers and posts. There is no ledger between the porch and deck.. It is not clear on the plans how the porch is connected to the house.

Can this be done without a ledger for the deck by the IRC prescriptive deck framing sections?

I

I have someone building a screened in porch with a deck attached to the porch. I consider the porch to be an addition. Code calls it a sun room. Both share the same floor framing including the piers and posts. There is no ledger between the porch and deck.. It is not clear on the plans how the porch is connected to the house.

Can this be done without a ledger for the deck by the IRC prescriptive deck framing sections?

I
  • 1st question is if they are both sharing the floor system with continuous joists ( I am envisioning half the floor system with a roof and screening and the rest open air) why would you need a ledger to connect them together?
  • If the cover porch area of the exterior flooring is connected by a ledger with positive connection to the house, what's the difference from this and a 2nd floor balcony with the floor system extended out to make the walking surface?
  • If the screen porch area is all weather enclosed with windows, possibly blocking and beam under that point, but requiring the split for a ledger.
I might be reading the post backwards also.