• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2024 IRC

steveray

SAWHORSE
Working on a proposal(s) to eliminate IRC fire protection of floors in detached accessory structures with no habitable space above them and to allow "non-drywalled" HT construction to serve as the garage separation (think log home).....

Anyone with input, feel free to reach out....

I like it on both counts. Fire protection of floors is to protect firefighters who wouldn't typically enter a burning shed?? And HT would be at least as fire resistant as 1/2" gyp, especially when happy homeowner pokes it full of holes, which is less likely with HT. JMHO.

steveray, if you want to send me your proposals, I would be happy to run them up with the Colorado Chapter's code development committee, see if they would back them. Might be a good opportunity for some ahead of time vetting. I can pm you if you don't have my email.