• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

windows and product approval codes

chris cron

currently in the permitting process and santa rosa county wants me to submit product approval codes for windows, doors shutters etc... my question is where do i find these approval codes? especially when i am not even at the stage where i am looking to buy any windows or doors yet

currently in the permitting process and santa rosa county wants me to submit product approval codes for windows, doors shutters etc... my question is where do i find these approval codes? especially when i am not even at the stage where i am looking to buy any windows or doors yet
Go to this link:

Your exterior windows, doors, shutters, and roofing products will have to be Florida-approved. If you plan on building a house, your contractor should be helping you through this process. All of the approved products have been tested and signed off by an engineer that provided the NOA's in which you seek and must hand in.

You can't just go to HD, pick out some windows and use them. Welcome to hurricane country.

Chris, not sure where Jar is getting that you are moving to FL from your OP, but you are in Missouri, and the Santa Rosa County you are referring to is in northwest Missouri, correct?

However, the link he provided will be very helpful, as though you might not need it for hurricanes, I believe you have her evil twin sister Little Miss "T" to design for in your area.

Personally, I prefer to just use the Anderson window and Pella window products. Pick a product line and download a copy of all the specifications for the model window line. It has always made it simpler IMO. If you have a different window manufacture in mind, they should have the same information on their websites also. And you can confirm them on the very helpful link provided by Jar's.

Chris, not sure where Jar is getting that you are moving to FL from your OP, but you are in Missouri, and the Santa Rosa County you are referring to is in northwest Missouri, correct?

However, the link he provided will be very helpful, as though you might not need it for hurricanes, I believe you have her evil twin sister Little Miss "T" to design for in your area.

Personally, I prefer to just use the Anderson window and Pella window products. Pick a product line and download a copy of all the specifications for the model window line. It has always made it simpler IMO. If you have a different window manufacture in mind, they should have the same information on their websites also. And you can confirm them on the very helpful link provided by Jar's.
i live in missouri but the land is in santa rosa county florida. I guess the main problem is that i dont understand the process of finding windows that have a florida product approval code. the previous answer was that you cant just go buy windows for a house in florida. this is what i dont understand.....do the lowes or home depots in florida not stock windows that are ready to install? where do i find windows that are ready to go with a fl# (approval code). how do i go about finding out if the windows i have already are acceptable? I dont necessarily need to use the windows i own because i can use them for a build i will be doing in missouri as well. its just that santa rosa county seems to want me to put the cart before the horse......mind you this land that i wnt to build on is still completely undeveloped....no water tap yet, no electric.....nothing. and they want me to provide florida product approval codes for the windows i will be putting in a house i cant build because i cant clear the land because i havent chosen my windows yet......seems extremely odd to me. thank you already for the information you all are providing

i live in missouri but the land is in santa rosa county florida. I guess the main problem is that i dont understand the process of finding windows that have a florida product approval code. the previous answer was that you cant just go buy windows for a house in florida. this is what i dont understand.....do the lowes or home depots in florida not stock windows that are ready to install? where do i find windows that are ready to go with a fl# (approval code). how do i go about finding out if the windows i have already are acceptable? I dont necessarily need to use the windows i own because i can use them for a build i will be doing in missouri as well. its just that santa rosa county seems to want me to put the cart before the horse......mind you this land that i wnt to build on is still completely undeveloped....no water tap yet, no electric.....nothing. and they want me to provide florida product approval codes for the windows i will be putting in a house i cant build because i cant clear the land because i havent chosen my windows yet......seems extremely odd to me. thank you already for the information you all are providing
also let me note that I do not have a contractor. I am building a pole barn house and will be contracting out the work myself......that was the plan, but it starting to be overwhelming in some of these little hurdles that I can't find any clear information on

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for multiple replies but also i forgot to mention.......i already have blueprints that provide the specs on roof etc.....but the prints on the shell do not include the windows shutters or door information....if i need the codes for the doors, windows etc that will go in the house before the county will even allow me to commence with clearing the land, then do i have to go buy those items now and put them in storage?, do i hope they are in stock by the time i need to purchase them? I am reaching out on the web because the county administrators have been a nightmare to even get them to answer the phone let alone give out clear and concise information

Incorrect. He live is Missouri and the property in question is located in Florida.

also let me note that I do not have a contractor. I am building a pole barn house and will be contracting out the work myself......that was the plan, but it starting to be overwhelming in some of these little hurdles that I can't find any clear information on
What you want to do and what you can do are two different things. Planning, zoning & development review must all take place before you can apply for a permit under state law and each municipality may have their own local ordinances you must adhere to. As an "owner builder" you are limited to what you can do. All contractors that you hire must be licensed in Florida. You cannot hire unlicensed individuals to do the work. The owner-builder is not a work around.

Some municipalities have other requirements. The pole barn you refer to is not prescriptive, therefore it must come from a Florida licensed design professional such as an architect or engineer. You may have to hire special inspectors (engineers) for certain inspections depending on the type of construction and method you will be using.

Windows in Florida in particular are critical to the stability of a structure and all have pressure ratings. If you choose not to install impact/hurricane windows then you will have to provide hurricane shutters that are required to be Florida approved and have current NOAs.

As an owner builder, this is the minimum language that you will have to sign in person at the building department. Read it carfefully.

DISCLOSURE STATEMENT

1. I understand that state law requires construction to be done by a licensed contractor and have applied for an owner-builder permit under an exemption from the law. The exemption specifies that I, as the owner of the property listed, may act as my own contractor with certain restrictions even though I do not have a license.

2. I understand that building permits are not required to be signed by a property owner unless he or she is responsible for the construction and is not hiring a licensed contractor to assume responsibility.

3. I understand that, as an owner-builder, I am the responsible party of record on a permit. I understand that I may protect myself from potential financial risk by hiring a licensed contractor and having the permit filed in his or her name instead of my own name. I also understand that a contractor is required by law to be licensed in Florida and to list his or her license numbers on permits and contracts.

4. I understand that I may build or improve a one-family or two-family residence or a farm outbuilding. I may also build or improve a commercial building if the costs do not exceed $75,000. The building or residence must be for my own use or occupancy. It may not be built or substantially improved for sale or lease, unless I am completing the requirements of a building permit where the contractor listed on the permit substantially completed the project. If a building or residence that I have built or substantially improved myself is sold or leased within 1 year after the construction is complete, the law will presume that I built or substantially improved it for sale or lease, which violates the exemption.

5. I understand that, as the owner-builder, I must provide direct, onsite supervision of the construction.

6. I understand that I may not hire an unlicensed person to act as my contractor or to supervise persons working on my building or residence. It is my responsibility to ensure that the persons whom I employ have the licenses required by law and by county or municipal ordinance.

7. I understand that it is a frequent practice of unlicensed persons to have the property owner obtain an owner-builder permit that erroneously implies that the property owner is providing his or her own labor and materials. I, as an owner-builder, may be held liable and subjected to serious financial risk for any injuries sustained by an unlicensed person or his or her employees while working on my property. My homeowner’s insurance may not provide coverage for those injuries. I am willfully acting as an owner-builder and am aware of the limits of my insurance coverage for injuries to workers on my property.

8. I understand that I may not delegate the responsibility for supervising work to a licensed contractor who is not licensed to perform the work being done. Any person working on my building who is not licensed must work under my direct supervision and must be employed by me, which means that I must comply with laws requiring the withholding of federal income tax and social security contributions under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) and must provide workers’ compensation for the employee. I understand that my failure to follow these laws may subject me to serious financial risk.

9. I agree that, as the party legally and financially responsible for this proposed construction activity, I will abide by all applicable laws and requirements that govern owner-builders as well as employers. I also understand that the construction must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, building codes, and zoning regulations.

10. I understand that I may obtain more information regarding my obligations as an employer from the Internal Revenue Service, the United States Small Business Administration, the Florida Department of Financial Services, and the Florida Department of Revenue. I also understand that I may contact the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board at (telephone number) or (Internet website address) for more information about licensed contractors.

11. I am aware of, and consent to, an owner-builder building permit applied for in my name and understand that I am the party legally and financially responsible for the proposed construction activity at the following address: (address of property) .

12. I agree to notify (issuer of disclosure statements) immediately of any additions, deletions, or changes to any of the information that I have provided on this disclosure.

Licensed contractors are regulated by laws designed to protect the public. If you contract with a person who does not have a license, the Construction Industry Licensing Board and Department of Business and Professional Regulation may be unable to assist you with any financial loss that you sustain as a result of a complaint. Your only remedy against an unlicensed contractor may be in civil court. It is also important for you to understand that, if an unlicensed contractor or employee of an individual or firm is injured while working on your property, you may be held liable for damages. If you obtain an owner-builder permit and wish to hire a licensed contractor, you will be responsible for verifying whether the contractor is properly licensed and the status of the contractor’s workers’ compensation coverage.

Before a building permit can be issued, this disclosure statement must be completed and signed by the property owner and returned to the local permitting agency responsible for issuing the permit. A copy of the property owner’s driver license, the notarized signature of the property owner, or other type of verification acceptable to the local permitting agency is required when the permit is issued.

Signature: (signature of property owner) .

Date: (date)

ok so i think i have this figured out.....also thank you for the information....it is good to know (if i understand correctly) that shutters will cover me as long as they are rated for impact etc....I spoke with a fellow at home depot in the millworks dept. and he said that he could help me pick out my windows and doors, quote me a price and give me the product approval codes for those windows and that i could order them at a later date. I am pretty sure all other criteria you have mentioned is in effect and i am sitting pretty good as far as licensed contractors and such, it is just that some of the hurdles to jump have ambiguous information to get started with and the county officials are not helpful much. Its certainly coming together and is becoming an invaluable learning experience. I plan on expanding into acquiring more real estate down by Gulf Breeze and this adventure is sure getting me acquanted with the more extensive permitting process than what i am accustomed to. Also one last question....So windows, doors, and roof......are there any other items that are required by the state to have product approval codes? I understand panel walls are as well but i think my roof and walls are taken care of in that respect since i have the plans drawn for the entire shell with product information and wind ratings

You have to be on-site, personally overseeing the work, you cannot hire a manager to do it for you. You cannot sell the property for a year after construction and you can't have an owner-builder permit unless you personally own it in your name, and not an LLC, for example.