• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

porch stairs

bill1952

SAWHORSE
Sort of a deck question, but building new stairs from porch to a slab, and looking to protect the stringer sitting on the slab. An old FHB tip used a pair of 1/2" ss lag bolts in bottom of each 2x12 pt stringer for a 1/2" gap. Another tip was cut up a plastic cutting board and as screw to seat cut on sttingers. Kind of surprised no one makes a cast piece.

Any care about this connection? not sure just copper naphthenate is a good long term solution. Anyone seen and willing to share better details?

The lag screws would create point loads, both on the slab and the underside of the stringers. Cutting board could work.

I could use a 2 by riser and spread the lags out. Load on any stringer won't exceed 250 pounds - and that's with a choral group packed on them - so not worried by that - over 2 or more lags - on 4000 psi concrete.

What I'd like is a 1" deep "I" with 1 1/2" flanges, galvanized or cast aluminum.

I wonder what the compressive strength of pvc trim is.

Related question: if I use deck joist tape under treads and behind risers, do I need to treat these cut with copper naphthenate, per "R317.1.1 Field treatment. Field-cut ends, notches and drilled holes of preservative-treated wood shall be treated in the field in accordance with AWPA M4."

The unavailability of copper naphthenate at any store I could find in my area makes me wonder how often the requirements for it are enforced. I finally ordered on Amazon.

The unavailability of copper naphthenate at any store I could find in my area makes me wonder how often the requirements for it are enforced. I finally ordered on Amazon.
I have never heard of anyone anywhere enforcing that requirement. If anyone else has, I would be glad to hear about it.

I have never heard of anyone anywhere enforcing that requirement. If anyone else has, I would be glad to hear about it.
2011 code
R317.1.1 Field treatment. Field-cut ends, notches and drilled holes of preservative-treated wood shall be treated in the field in accordance with AWPA M4.

Somewhere between these years I did enforce the code section on tract work. It was an awful mess. I'm not convinced that it makes for a better product but people that are smarter than me wrote the code.

2019 code
R317.1.1 Field treatment. Field-cut ends, notches and drilled holes of preservative-treated wood shall be treated in the field in accordance with AWPA M4.

It's called copper napthanate. I tried enforcing it early on, but....... its really one of those things that is on them to do.

Which explains why is not available near me (like 50 miles or so at least). I suspect rarely complied with. Makes it difficult to do. Ironic the diyer tries to do it but seems pros don't.

It's in the deck section also except not as clear. There was a discussion not long ago on that.

Does a stair stringer constitute "Field-cut ends, notches and drilled holes"?

FWIW I'm using PVC trim - a piece of 1x2 - screwed (ss) to foot of stringer to keep it of the patio slab.