• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PA Returns to 2018 Accessibility Standards immediately

MikeC

Silver Member
Apparently, PA L&I did something different in the way they adopted the accessibility standards late last year. I just received this message in an email:
Yesterday, the Commonwealth Court issued an opinion in Pennsylvania Builders Association v. Department of Labor and Industry, which permanently enjoined enforcement of the 2021 accessibility updates to the Uniform Construction Code. As such, effective immediately, you must cease all enforcement of the 2021 accessibility standards. Since the 2018 accessibility standards were in effect before December 25, 2021 and were unchallenged, all structures must still comply with the 2018 accessibility requirements.

Please be advised that the Court’s decision does not affect enforcement of the non-accessibility requirements of the Uniform Construction Code.

If you have questions, please contact Matthew W. Kegg | DirectorPA Department of Labor & Industry at mkegg@pa.gov or 717-783-6304.

Here is a link to the actual ruling (for those of us who enjoy reading this stuff): 2021 Accessibility Commonwealth Court Ruling

In PA, the tail wags the dog.
The sad thing is that I had to find out about the from a friend. Nobody from the state has notified me of this yet. That's why I posted it here, assuming most others likely don't know about it either.