• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Remote inspections

ICE

Oh Well
This company says that they have just completed the 15,000th remote inspection. They operate in Florida, Texas and Georgia. I am curious to know if anyone here has experience with this platform.

No but … our facility maintenance team uses something that might be similar. Except it’s all in-house personnel, not contractors or vendors. The maintenance tech wears a headset with ear piece and microphone, and there is a small camera near his right eye, and an eyepiece he can see. So he goes on site, powers on the headset, and call in to a zoom call or whatever. Then he walks around inspecting, and the people see exactly what he is seeing, and it gets recorded. And there is live commo between the tech and the zoom people. So if somebody in the office wants him to open a door, they just say it. I have not been involved in the process, but my colleagues in FM say it works very well.

No but … our facility maintenance team uses something that might be similar. Except it’s all in-house personnel, not contractors or vendors. The maintenance tech wears a headset with ear piece and microphone, and there is a small camera near his right eye, and an eyepiece he can see. So he goes on site, powers on the headset, and call in to a zoom call or whatever. Then he walks around inspecting, and the people see exactly what he is seeing, and it gets recorded. And there is live commo between the tech and the zoom people. So if somebody in the office wants him to open a door, they just say it. I have not been involved in the process, but my colleagues in FM say it works very well.
That is a sophisticated approach that works. Contrast that with a homeowner armed with a smart phone.

Don't like them, don't think they are as effective as being in person, don't trust them and won't do them although some of the guys that I know do them because they are convenient.

That is a sophisticated approach that works. Contrast that with a homeowner armed with a smart phone.
Right. And i think the service linked in the OP is a paid service, not by the homeowner. Could be good.

I consider myself relatively progressive for an old fart. Always been an early adopter - first journo in a big newsroom go to with digital cameras, early adopter to cellphone/text/interweb. Actively pushed our office for a digital workflow.

With that said, this does not work for me. One of the key assets I think a trained on-site individual brings to the equation is the ability to observe things that just don't fit. One can perceive things in person that a videolink - hi-res notwithstanding - will not convey.

Right. And i think the service linked in the OP is a paid service, not by the homeowner. Could be good.
That is incorrect. The person on the camera phone end can be anyone from the owner to the contractor.

That is incorrect. The person on the camera phone end can be anyone from the owner to the contractor.
You might be right … maybe. I tried to understand what the service is exactly from the website, but it is vague. If the service sends out a tech or contractor who does this frequently, it could work. If it’s as you say …

You might be right … maybe. I tried to understand what the service is exactly from the website, but it is vague. If the service sends out a tech or contractor who does this frequently, it could work. If it’s as you say …
A while back, the company conducted a seminar with a demonstration. My recollection might be a little off. The inspection was for a ufer. The person on the phone was a contractor.

The sales pitch had owners hosting the inspections as well as the contractor.