• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Future use areas

Hyrax4978

I am working on a project in which the owner will only occupy about a quarter of the space.
The remainder of which is all up in the air pending how they grow and change over the next few years.
Any recommendations on how to classify the future uses of the area as they grow into it.
They have ideas on what they might be, but not definite and no idea on how much of each use they might actually end up with.

Should i classify the entire building as the same use as the part of the building they will occupy, or classify it best as they see it being used in the next few years.

1. So what occupancy type is it?

2. Will they have access/ use of the un finished area?

3. Fire Sprinkler system?

They will start off with F1 use with two fire areas both under 12,000 sf. The future will either be F1, F2 or B uses depending on how things grow and change. No sprinklers.

They will start off with F1 use with two fire areas both under 12,000 sf. The future will either be F1, F2 or B uses depending on how things grow and change. No sprinklers.

2. Will they have access/ use of the un finished area?

Sorry, yes they will have access. they will occupy about half of one fire area, and the other fire area will have a couple fire shutters.

Sorry, yes they will have access. they will occupy about half of one fire area, and the other fire area will have a couple fire shutters.

If they have access, they are going to use it, so to me have them label the use.

And meet minimum code

Add the comment, Once in the future the area is used for something, plans and permit are required prior to remodel/ use

I'd have to see a floor plan, but I'd probably call it all F1 or S1....A change of use to B should be simpler than going the other way but it might not make much difference. Bathrooms might be the biggest challenge.

From a code analysis perspective, you have to assign as use to determine the building is within its allowable area. For this purpose, F-1, S-1, M, and B are all pretty similar, so doubtful much impact if a change of use between one of these.

May ask the AHJ if they do "shell-only" permits. We will offer this for strip malls and similar buildings where the full build out is not completed and the future use is still a bit fluid. A tenant improvement plan is required prior to a CO.

Core and shell with tenant finishes, we see it all the time. No reason not to apply it to a single user application.

There is more to consider than fire rating. Consider the impact of different occupancies on risk category and design live load. Will there be occupancies associated with hazardous materials.

Talk to the design team. The future uses may have an impact on the structural system. For example a structural steel frame may make it easier to accommodate future floor openings or new concentrated loads.