• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1/2" height difference

ADAguy

If a height difference exceeds 1/2", lets say 1";

Can I use a series of 1/4" vertical to 1" horizontals to make up the 1" (an alternate means?) (would doing so be grounds for a complaint?)

Or must I go to only a 1/2 slope to achieve the 1" - 11B 303.4 Heights exceeding 1/2" must be via ramps

Some thresholds show 1/4" at 1/2 to 1.5" horizontal to 1/4" vertical to 1/2" horizontal and then descending at 1/2 back to horizontal for a overall total of 1/2" is this ok?

ANSI

303.4 Ramps.

Changes in level greater than 1/2 inch (13 mm) in height shall be ramped and shall comply with Section 405 or 406.

I think you would be open to complaints. I wouldn't approve it unless you had a landings worth of horizontal distance between each vertical rise at a minimum.

ADAguy said:
Yes, but what does it mean from a prescriptive standpoint vs performance?
It means it will not perform properly. Basically you are creating a ramp with multiple vertical rises which is twice the slope allowed by code in an existing site or building.

Existing building/site exception Table 405.2

1A slope steeper than 1:8 shall not be permitted.