• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

10 Best Reasons for a Waiver

FyrBldgGuy

Silver Member
I know that you have heard them so just add yours to the rest.

1. It costs too much.

2. I never planned to comply.

3. We never had to do that before.

4. In that city they don't have to do it.

5. I have tickets to the Oakland Raiders.

6. Its only temporary.

7. The Fire Chief said I could do it this way.

8. This isn't a change in Use. We just added more chemicals.

9. I have a friend on the Appeals Board.

10. We didn't consider it a flood plain (Sacramento).

I will talk to my brother in law, the mayor.

I pay for your minimum wage job.

We have the governor coming today, what do you mean you will not approve the c of o

I will just take my super bowl to indiana if I cannot use the added seats

Had this one yesterday.........."I just don't want it in my house, how do I get a waiver or variance?"

Heard this one last week, "Yeah it might sag a little in a few years, but I don't think it will probably ever fall down". Sad thing is he wasn't joking. This was a homeowner who decided the engineered beam his plans showed for the garage door header was too expensive so he built his own out of 10 foot and 8 foot long 2 x 8's. It was only a 16 foot garage door header. And besides he had the 2 x 8's left over from another project. And this wasn't a gable end header with minimumal load, this was an eave side wall with a pretty fair load over the header.

And sorry, I had left the camera at the office on the charger.

"But it's a steel and concrete building. Can't you waive that requirement? What's going to burn that I need sprinklers? "

"The 100,000 sq. ft. of combustible material you're going to load it with."

I dont need temporary standpipes on my 8 story building--There is nothing to burn.

One week after they were installed, under a they will be in by Friday or stop work order will be issued, they were used for a roof fire that burned up the custom aluminum skylight frames in their wood crates--Hotel was almost a year late in opening--fire was not only issue.

A couple more...

Why do we need a fire water tank, its just a trailer. (Double wide office)

Can't you just waive the UL Listing?

We plan on using porta-poties, so toilets are not required.

I my personal favorite... It's the grand opening! We invited the Mayor and City Council. Are you going to shut us down?

A couple of years ago, I used "the previous fire inspector always said it was fine".

The new inspector pulled me aside and said, "the previous inspector is in rehab... now I'M here to enforce all the stuff that he simply ignored".

I went from being indignant toward him to feeling sorry for him... I did not envy all the messes he had to clean up.

What the h**l code are you on!

What u ben smokin! We dont do that here!

Is cda still plan-n wed-ends?

What FM said!

H**l wit your code!!

Thy don't require that in _ _ City!

"They said I did not need it on Building Codes Forum"

LOL, now that's funny..........good one.:mrgreen:

fatboy said:
"They said I did not need it on Building Codes Forum"LOL, now that's funny..........good one.:mrgreen:
You laugh - -but there's been a couple of times when I 've reprinted our threads for a building official, so they can see it bantered around, and know we've looked at it from multiple viewpoints.

"I'm sorry you chose to not read the provided plan review letter associated to your project." Should you need another copy, please feel free to inquire with the building owner or the returned plans from the building department since copies were sent and attached to all." "Specific code references are affixed to all original copies should you need further guidance."

"My code book doesn't say that." 5th edition MA code book, we are now on 8th (2009 i-codes)

"you asked me to draw how I planed to build it"..."No, I asked you to draw what you were going to build and show it would meet code"..."oh, I'll draw it again." 2nd time now.

Nothing he drew would have ever passed any review in any year, ever.

This seriously isn't funny and did actually happen during the construction of an addition to a church, , ,

"God will watch over and care for the children"

(ok dammit but you're going to have enough egress doors anyway)

Had to share this one, it is a new spin on the why I didn't get a permit. Just came back from the site.Had a 1500 square foot steel frame going up, no permit. Went out to put stop work order up and owner had just come to the site. Stopped to explain what was going on and the owner reaches into his shirt pocket and comes out with a permit (the original hard copy) of a permit issued in 1994 for an accessory building on this lot.The house was torn down in 2002 and the entire lot scraped. This guy became the owner in 2004 and the former owner threw the permit from 1994 into the deal so the new owner could build his car repair shop without having to deal with the city anymore. Gentleman wasn't happy to learn that his permit was expired. Wanted to know if he could get a refund on it since the building never got built.Thank goodness the building will have to come down, it is way to close to the property line, and zoning variances very hard to get in this area. So won't have to deal with some of the other problems. I was a little afraid to walk under the frame when I saw it. The frame is home made. The owner told me he welds on cars all the time so a building can't be that hard. The steel came from an auction. Owner told me he was copying a metal building frame he saw somewhere else, except he had some different sizes and shapes of materials, but he was sure it was going to work. Besides it never snows here so the roof doesn't have to hold up any extra weight and what did I mean by "wind loads and shear"This is a tiny piece of property, the shed to the right in the pic is on the neighbors lot and the fence to the left is property line. The neighbor to the right is who turned him in because he dropped a piece of steel on the roof of his shed while trying to get it up on the top of his frame.You gotta love this work.

View attachment 410

View attachment 410

/monthly_2011_03/572953bf88633_metalframe1.jpg.5a400b229727d47a38f2efba6c208274.jpg