• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

10 Best Reasons for a Waiver

Yankee said:
This seriously isn't funny and did actually happen during the construction of an addition to a church, , , "God will watch over and care for the children"
Answer: "Yes, He is watching over them. In fact, He's sent me as his messenger to ensure his little lambs are safe, praise the Lord!"

Church projects often have something similar. My standard response is that I'm on a mission from God to ensure they don't get there any sooner then their supposed to.

"""You laugh - -but there's been a couple of times when I 've reprinted our threads for a building official, so they can see it bantered around, and know we've looked at it from multiple viewpoints.""""

Yikes

You can send my consultating fee quarterly,, that will work for me

A couple that have been aimed at me:

"I"m going to have you fired."

"I'll get elected to City Council and then I"ll be in charge."

"These are only students. They don't need good houses." [This when I condemned a house that was being rented to four young men. They were happy to be kicked out.]

That's what the building inspector told me to do"

"I am the building inspector. The only building inspector."

"oh."

TimNY said:
That's what the building inspector told me to do""I am the building inspector. The only building inspector."

"oh."
Had something similar happen tome a few years back. Guy at counter arguing with the permit clerk. I ask can I help. He says, "I don't have to do anything that she is saying. I was told that by someone here."

When asked who told him that he replied. "It wasn't you. It was that pyrguy fellow."

With that statement I moved the folder I was holding to show him my ID.

Changed his mind pretty fast.

Yikes said:
Answer: "Yes, He is watching over them. In fact, He's sent me as his messenger to ensure his little lambs are safe, praise the Lord!"
God is Busy

A United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq & Afghanistan. For one of the courses he had a professor who was an avowed atheist & a member of the ACLA.

One day the professor shocked the classs when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, God if you are real then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes. The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop.

Ten minutes went by & the professor proclaimed, "Here I am God, I'm still waiting." It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor & cold-****ed him, knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold.

The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. the other students were shocked & stunned & sat there looking on in silence.

The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, "What in the world is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The Marine calmly replied, "God was too busy today protecting American soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid sh*t & act like an idiot. So he sent me."

The classroom erupted in cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still love this one, and laugh with him when we get together..... "I didn't have to do that in (.....). Really, that's suprising....... I'll call him and find out if he has some kind of code modification to allow that........ here it's for you." I absolutely love the look in their faces :)

Kevin Turner said:
God is BusyA United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq & Afghanistan. For one of the courses he had a professor who was an avowed atheist & a member of the ACLA.

One day the professor shocked the classs when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, God if you are real then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes. The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop.

Ten minutes went by & the professor proclaimed, "Here I am God, I'm still waiting." It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor & cold-****ed him, knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold.

The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. the other students were shocked & stunned & sat there looking on in silence.

The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, "What in the world is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The Marine calmly replied, "God was too busy today protecting American soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid sh*t & act like an idiot. So he sent me."

The classroom erupted in cheers!
Then Santa Clause rode by on the back of the Easter Bunny.

me: Can I see your permit please?

Dude: "This is in the City?" mom told us we did'nt need a dam permit! I'am gonna smack her!

For real that's what he said!

Be nice to your mother!

pc1

You're telling me I have to make my attic stairs have a specific rise and run on the steps AND have a handrail? Who have you been talking too?

texas transplant said:
Thank goodness the building will have to come down, it is way to close to the property line, and zoning variances very hard to get in this area. So won't have to deal with some of the other problems. I was a little afraid to walk under the frame when I saw it. The frame is home made. The owner told me he welds on cars all the time so a building can't be that hard.The steel came from an auction. Owner told me he was copying a metal building frame he saw somewhere else, except he had some different sizes and shapes of materials, but he was sure it was going to work. Besides it never snows here so the roof doesn't have to hold up any extra weight and what did I mean by "wind loads and shear".
I opened the picture and looked a little... then zoomed in on it. OMG! Free span cathedral. What is that span??? About 40 feet? The way the rafters are setting on the support posts......WOW! Thank goodness you found that one! The guy has no clue on what to do!

Gotta love it Mule, everytime I read an opening that says "only in my town" I want to invite them to visit me for a week. But it does provide job security.

One of the best laughs I have had occurred yesterday, I paid a visit on a tenant upfit to see rebar in a wall and the young contractor starts showing me around and points to his mechanical guy and says "He is installing an exhaust fan and a return grille and should be coming by your office later today to pick up his permit".