• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

10 Year Anniversary!

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Ten years ago tonight (Oct 15, 20019) I received a phone call from RJJ telling me that the ICC forum was shutting down and we had nowhere to go. I wanted to create our own but did not know how. I started searching the internet for free forum software and found Phbb and started researching how to install and set it up. I knew we were running out of time so I stayed up almost all night trying to figure it out.

I figured out how to attach it to my GoDaddy account and on October 16th, 2009 I started setting up the categories and registered myself as admin and the very first member. By the next day I was somewhat ready and on October 17th, 2009 we were open for business and had 30 members sign up. See the list of the first 30 members below. Anyway, over time we outgrew my GoDaddy account, the free software and ended up changing to paid for, professional software twice and now have our very own Amazon server. Just look how far we have come as a professional group these past 10 years. Hats off to all of you who supported this forum financially and more importantly, with all of your posts.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 22.01.32.png

Last edited:
It does not seem like it was that long ago. I do remember jpranch emailing me to tell me about it and how ICC was pulling the plug on the site they where hosting.
Thank You Jar for the time and money you have put into this forum.

WOW! Hard to believe it has been ten years.

Yes, thanks to RJJ for giving Jeff the heads up, and thanks Jeff for all your hard work over the years.

Great group, great forum!

I remember. I was so ticked off at ICC about how they shut down their forum! (understated) I remember being at the ICC annual business meeting in Baltimore promoting the new site when it was first started by jar & RJJ. This in part was the one of many reasons I got involved with ICC and through some unbelievable chance events ended up being on the ICC board myself. I remember this as well as a whole host of other things to remember where I have been, came from, experiences from the past, and the direction ICC needs to go. There is a hell of a lot more to the story than this. I thank all who have contributed to this forum, supported it, and especially challenged me and supported me in my current capacity.

Ten years ago tonight (Oct 15, 20019) I received a phone call from RJJ telling me that the ICC forum was shutting down and we had nowhere to go. I wanted to create our own but did not know how. I started searching the internet for free forum software and found Phbb and started researching how to install and set it up. I knew we were running out of time so I stayed up almost all night trying to figure it out.

I figured out how to attach it to my GoDaddy account and on October 16th, 2009 I started setting up the categories and registered myself as admin and the very first member. By the next day I was somewhat ready and on October 17th, 2009 we were open for business and had 30 members sign up. See the list of the first 30 members below. Anyway, over time we outgrew my GoDaddy account, the free software and ended up changing to paid for, professional software twice and now have our very own Amazon server. Just look how far we have come as a professional group these past 10 years. Hats off to all of you who supported this forum financially and more importantly, with all of your posts.

View attachment 5930

Miss some of the people on the list

Congratulations - it is hard to believe it's been 10 years! I've learned so much over the years from you all - and continue to do so every day! Thanks to jar and RJJ for giving us all the opportunity to continue to learn and (sometimes) joke around!

I remember. I was so ticked off at ICC about how they shut down their forum! (understated) I remember being at the ICC annual business meeting in Baltimore promoting the new site when it was first started by jar & RJJ. This in part was the one of many reasons I got involved with ICC and through some unbelievable chance events ended up being on the ICC board myself. I remember this as well as a whole host of other things to remember where I have been, came from, experiences from the past, and the direction ICC needs to go. There is a hell of a lot more to the story than this. I thank all who have contributed to this forum, supported it, and especially challenged me and supported me in my current capacity.

I forgot about Baltimore, we were running around leaving cards with the forums address on all the tables, promoting the website.

fatboy, you bet and it was fun to do so but I would be willing to bet we stirred the pot a little bit? ... That was the fun part! Lol!

Congrats!!! Been here about 4 1/2 yrs. I have received a lot of good info and help over the years. Thank you Jeff and everyone else for being here!!!

Jeff, I'm a frigging idiot! I was recalling the past instead of saying THANK YOU & thanks to Richard for the best codes forum on the net! Well done & WooHoo!

Having been an early member of the Building Code Discussion Group who's originator passed away, it was a pleasant surprise to discover the Forum and a great group of fellow codees.
Heres to ten moreJar.

Jeff, I'm a frigging idiot! I was recalling the past instead of saying THANK YOU & thanks to Richard for the best codes forum on the net! Well done & WooHoo!

You are welcome but I am not looking for any thanks. I appreciate the sentiments but keeping this a clean, professional board with great content and lots of activity is more important to me. Spread the word, we exist.

Having the forsite to dive into this forum has been a great move and appreciated by all who have signed up beit short or long term. There’s always work put in behind the scenes that most will never hear about and nor would some want to. This forum is a great success and highly appreciated. I have spread the word and will continue to do so in the future.