• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1017.4 for 2009 IBC

AISLE. An unenclosed exit access component that defines and provides a path of egress travel.

EXIT ACCESS. That portion of a means of egress system that leads from any occupied portion of a building or structure to an exit

That would be the seat someone is sitting in

1017.1 General.

Aisles serving as a portion of the exit access in the means of egress system shall comply with the requirements of this section. Aisles shall be provided from all occupied portions of the exit access which contain seats, tables, furnishings, displays and similar fixtures or equipment. Aisles serving assembly areas shall comply with Section 1028.

This would include all occupancies except assembly.

Agree it was a small infraction but as pointed out a simple fix. He made the right call and in the process he hopefully educated someone about how important it is to keep exit paths clear and defined

now you are going to shut down my starbucks, because they do not have aisles

Until you have, at four in the morning, stepped bare foot on a little fighter figurine with his sword pointed up in the air, you have no idea of whether or not we nerds no how to be safe or not.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
No, the real hazard are the twelve sided die that will be all over the floor in an emergency. Those assembled, regardless of the occupancy type, should still comply with code...otherwise, common sense wants to know why we have it if it isn't an important part of exit access.
The code section was written with convention centers in mind, not four tables outside of a Starbucks.

I actually do like the common sense approach. As an architect I can always apply it. As a plan reviewer or inspector, when the code is fairly well written out, common sense is damm hard to apply without some sort of possible fallout. And if it were common sense to me, then it must be common sense to the BO, who would certainly have modified the code language and had the powers that be legally amend that code section.

Some day.

gbhammer said:
Until you have, at four in the morning, stepped bare foot on a little fighter figurine with his sword pointed up in the air, you have no idea of whether or not we nerds no how to be safe or not.
Those new lego Star Wars sets should be equally minded as well.

rktect 1 said:
I actually do like the common sense approach. As an architect I can always apply it. As a plan reviewer or inspector, when the code is fairly well written out, common sense is damm hard to apply without some sort of possible fallout. And if it were common sense to me, then it must be common sense to the BO, who would certainly have modified the code language and had the powers that be legally amend that code section. Some day.
I started refereeing Soccer about a year and a half ago. There's the Laws of the Game.

Then there is the game which the players are playing.

Good refereeing keeps the game from getting out of hand.

Bad refereeing is looking for fouls to call.

In other words, Milton's Rule is applicable.

BTW, there are seventeen Laws of the Game.

Common Sense is referred to as "Law 18."

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Those new lego Star Wars sets should be equally minded as well.
My 6 year old daughter has loved legos since she was about 2. She will play with legos for hours building her own barbie malibu princess beach house, but she hates star wars thats boy stuff.

gbhammer said:
My 6 year old daughter has loved legos since she was about 2. She will play with legos for hours building her own barbie malibu princess beach house, but she hates star wars thats boy stuff.
My son was introduced to Warhammer by his cousins over the holidays. My Amazon account has been active.

brudgers said:
My son was introduced to Warhammer by his cousins over the holidays. My Amazon account has been active.
Get him the Gotrek and Felix Novels written by William King.

The first novel is Trollslayer.

I have to be careful about what I recommend for reading right now because the last one, "Sword of Shanara," was such a bust.

Though in fairness, I didn't think much of it, either back when it came out.

"Starship Troopers" last year was a hit, however.

So maybe I'll try "Ender's Game" next.

brudgers said:
So maybe I'll try "Ender's Game" next.
Great book. I remember reading Card and Asimov's books when I was a tweener. My dad with leave a huge stack of Ellery Queen in the bathroom too.

My 6 yr old is a little too young for those yet...still on shorter chapter books.

A couple of years ago, I picked up "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" for my son.

He wasn't ready for that level of book, but I reread it.

That started me reading SF again for the first time since I was in my teens. There's a lot I missed over twenty-five years (Card among them), and a lot I missed from the 1960's - Phillip K. Dick, Roger Zelazny, Clifford Simak, etc. It's amazing how much more I appreciate now that I am older - "The Martian Chronicles" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" were enormously dull as a teen, but compelling as an adult.