• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

11" wide firewall -what size rated door jamb?

CADGURU

i have a ul u336 area separation firewall with a width of 11-1/2" and trying to find a detail for the door jamb. should the jamb be the fill 11"+ wide or can it be a standard rated jamb fire caulked into the framed opening with gyp. board returns and the 2" liner panel tight to the inside of the frame?

the fire inspector gave no direction on what he wanted to see and a custom frame is more expensive so the owner likes the standard option. thoughts?

Frame has to be rated

Would say does not have to fill entire 11 1/2.

No Fire Stop Caulk,,, install rated frame per manufacture

I ordinarily show the liner panels to the throat of a standard frame. Then return the gypsum board into the opening.

I ordinarily show the liner panels to the throat of a standard frame. Then return the gypsum board into the opening.
Same. The jamb attaches to the 2" center gyp assy. The door must be structurally independent also so it can only attach to the center which is supported by burn clips. Theoretically it should stay in place if either side collapses.

Reactions: cda
Same. The jamb attaches to the 2" center gyp assy. The door must be structurally independent also so it can only attach to the center which is supported by burn clips. Theoretically it should stay in place if either side collapses.
Missed that

area separation firewall

i have a ul u336 area separation firewall with a width of 11-1/2" and trying to find a detail for the door jamb. should the jamb be the fill 11"+ wide or can it be a standard rated jamb fire caulked into the framed opening with gyp. board returns and the 2" liner panel tight to the inside of the frame?

the fire inspector gave no direction on what he wanted to see and a custom frame is more expensive so the owner likes the standard option. thoughts?
Will the jamb be centered on the 11" or flush to one side? if flush will the face of door be more than 8" from the wall on one side?

Will the jamb be centered on the 11" or flush to one side? if flush will the face of door be more than 8" from the wall on one side?
The frame should be centered. The inset to a door panel in a wall like this is typically about 3 inches on the pull side and 7 inches on the push side.