• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1104.4 Exception

Msnma1974

Hello Everyone;

1104.4 Multilevel buildings and facilities.
At least one accessible route shall connect each accessible level, including mezzanines, in multilevel buildings and facilities.

Exceptions:

1. An accessible route is not required to stories and mezzanines that have an aggregate area of not more than 3,000 square feet (278.7 m2) and are located above and below accessible levels

Is this exception still valid, if the ground floor has a different tenant and use than the second floor?
First floor is an existing grocery store and the proposed use of the second floor is an office use.
Each floor has its own entrance. Building built in 1931.

TIA

An elevator cannot be required for small second floor spaces, it just isn't practical. So the IBC drew the line at 3,000 SF. Someone could argue that the cutoff should be 1,500 SF or some other size, but it is what it is.

I would approve

An elevator cannot be required for small second floor spaces, it just isn't practical. So the IBC drew the line at 3,000 SF. Someone could argue that the cutoff should be 1,500 SF or some other size, but it is what it is.

I would approve

Illinois changed it to 1000 sf. I don't know why. And they didn't listen to me when I told them that was dumb..

Does MI have its own Accessibility code, that would conflict with/override the building code?

Not exempt from ADA, but might be from code....
ADA does have an exemption for elevators similar to the building code

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/2010ADAstandards.htm#401d

(d) Elevator exemption.
  • (1) For purposes of this paragraph (d) –
    • (i) Professional office of a health care provider means a location where a person or entity regulated by a State to provide professional services related to the physical or mental health of an individual makes such services available to the public. The facility housing the "professional office of a health care provider" only includes floor levels housing at least one health care provider, or any floor level designed or intended for use by at least one health care provider.
    • (ii) Shopping center or shopping mall means –
      • (A) A building housing five or more sales or rental establishments; or
      • (B) A series of buildings on a common site, either under common ownership or common control or developed either as one project or as a series of related projects, housing five or more sales or rental establishments. For purposes of this section, places of public accommodation of the types listed in paragraph (5) of the definition of "place of public accommodation" in section § 36.104 are considered sales or rental establishments. The facility housing a "shopping center or shopping mall" only includes floor levels housing at least one sales or rental establishment, or any floor level designed or intended for use by at least one sales or rental establishment.
  • (2) This section does not require the installation of an elevator in a facility that is less than three stories or has less than 3000 square feet per story, except with respect to any facility that houses one or more of the following:
    • (i) A shopping center or shopping mall, or a professional office of a health care provider.
    • (ii) A terminal, depot, or other station used for specified public transportation, or an airport passenger terminal. In such a facility, any area housing passenger services, including boarding and debarking, loading and unloading, baggage claim, dining facilities, and other common areas open to the public, must be on an accessible route from an accessible entrance.
  • (3) The elevator exemption set forth in this paragraph (d) does not obviate or limit, in any way the obligation to comply with the other accessibility requirements established in paragraph (a) of this section. For example, in a facility that houses a shopping center or shopping mall, or a professional office of a health care provider, the floors that are above or below an accessible ground floor and that do not house sales or rental establishments or a professional office of a health care provider, must meet the requirements of this section but for the elevator.

The building inspector is stating that the exception in 1104.4 for less than 3000 sq. ft. is not applicable unless:
" The upstairs use would have to occupy the first floor and provide all the services available on the second floor on the first floor."
is this correct?

The building inspector is stating that the exception in 1104.4 for less than 3000 sq. ft. is not applicable unless:
" The upstairs use would have to occupy the first floor and provide all the services available on the second floor on the first floor."
is this correct?

The building inspector is wrong. I've been told this too in plan review but upon re-review by the CBO we were allowed to build a second floor up to 3,000 SF without elevator, even if they are separate tenants. I would caution the owner however about the ADA requirement that this exception does not apply to healthcare providers. (as shown by mtlogcabin)