• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

12ft exterior wall

bnason

I am building a 12x24ft workshop. I've been designing it in OnShape and the main problem I'm having now is how to frame the side and back walls. I originally had the back as full height 12ft studs. However, I was told by someone on Reddit that that isn't to code so I went searching and found TABLE R602.3(5) that looks like it limits the height to 10ft. I'm not sure what laterally unsupported here means exactly or if there is a way to frame it without the hinge in the wall. The walls will be have plywood inside and outside.

This is my current design: OnShape Model, Drawings

... so I went searching and found TABLE R602.3(5) that looks like it limits the height to 10ft. I'm not sure what laterally unsupported here means exactly or if there is a way to frame it without the hinge in the wall. The walls will be have plywood inside and outside.

Your link takes us to an OnShape sign-in page.

Laterally unsupported means that there isn't a floor or some other structural element within the first ten feet that prevents the the vertical wall from swaying or deflecting out of the vertical plane.

Which walls are the load-bearing walls? The non-load bearing gable end walls of every conventionally-framed house have a hinge at the juncture of the rectangular wall enclosing the living space, and the triangular gable end that encloses the attic. That's not a code violation. Your first mistake is probably paying any attention to Reddit for technical advice. Have you discussed your plans with your local building official?

Exception #3 may be applicable for your area.

R602.3.1 Stud size, height and spacing.
The size, height and spacing of studs shall be in accordance with Table R602.3(5). This is where the maximum 10 feet is required and below are the exceptions

Exceptions:

1. Utility grade studs shall not be spaced more than 16 inches (406 mm) on center, shall not support more than a roof and ceiling, and shall not exceed 8 feet (2438 mm) in height for exterior walls and load-bearing walls or 10 feet (3048 mm) for interior nonload-bearing walls.

2. Where snow loads are less than or equal to 25 pounds per square foot (1.2 kPa), and the ultimate design wind speed is less than or equal to 130 mph (58.1 m/s), 2-inch by 6-inch (38 mm by 140 mm) studs supporting a roof load with not more than 6 feet (1829 mm) of tributary length shall have a maximum height of 18 feet (5486 mm) where spaced at 16 inches (406 mm) on center, or 20 feet (6096 mm) where spaced at 12 inches (305 mm) on center. Studs shall be No. 2 grade lumber or better.

3. Exterior load-bearing studs not exceeding 12 feet (3658 mm) in height provided in accordance with Table R602.3(6). The minimum number of full-height studs adjacent to openings shall be in accordance with Section R602.7.5. The building shall be located in Exposure B, the roof live load shall not exceed 20 psf (0.96 kPa), and the ground snow load shall not exceed 30 psf (1.4 kPa). Studs and plates shall be No. 2 grade lumber or better.