• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

13R or 13D

still not sure about this. The IBC and NFPA does not use the word "detached". It is only used in the IRC. If both buildings are inspected under the IBC and not the IRC for the ressidential building 13D seems to be allowed.

OK - rick, show me where i can construct a B occupancy in the IRC

This may clear it up for you - the exception in the following section out of the 2006 IBC

101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction,

alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement,

repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance,

removal and demolition of every building or structure or any

appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or

structures.

Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings and

multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more

than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate

means of egress and their accessory structures shall comply

with the International Residential Code.

Thanks bob, I wish this could help. But Pa does not use ch. 1 of the IBC. We have Act 45 (UCC) to take it's place. And I don't think we can call it detached if by a fire wall.

NFPA most certainly does use the word "detached". Read the scope of 13D, then read the definitions of the words contained therein. The described construction is clearly outside the scope of 13D.

NFPA 13 D

1.1 Scope. this standard shall cover the design and installation of automatic sprinkler systems for protection against the fire hazards in one- and two-family dwellings and manufactured homes.

Definitions:

3.3.4 Dwelling. Any building that contains not more than one or two dwelling units intened to be used, rented, leased, let, or hired out to be occupied for habitation purposes.

3.3.4 Dwelling Unit. One or more rooms, arranged for the use of one or more individuals living together, as in a single housekeeping unit, that normally have cooking, living, sanitary, and sleeping facilities.

Don't see anything about "detached"

Rick18071 said:
Any building that contains not more than one or two dwelling units intened to be used, rented, leased, let, or hired out to be occupied for habitation purposes.
Don't forget the "any building" part either.

Somebody needs an updated copy of NFPA 13D, and it isn't me. ;)

The definition was changed in 2007 to clarify what the intent had been all along:

3.3.3 Dwelling. Any detached building, or any part of a townhouse structure that is separated from the remainder of the townhouse structure with fire resistance rated assemblies in accordance with local building code, that contains no more than two dwelling units intended to be used, rented, leased, let, or hired out to be occupied or that are occupied for habitation purposes.

Permitguy, I did get this from my copy of the 2007 issue of NFPA 13D. I don't understand where you got a different definition. Can anyone help with this?

Buudgers, a fire wall between B an R makes them separate buildings.

Rick18071 said:
Permitguy, I did get this from my copy of the 2007 issue of NFPA 13D. I don't understand where you got a different definition. Can anyone help with this?Buudgers, a fire wall between B an R makes them separate buildings.
Only if the Design Professional designates the wall as such. It's not the code official's call (even though the building might fail to meet area requirements).

There is a discrepancy between the printed version we have in our office and the archived version that can be accessed from NFPA's website (web says detached). In any case, the intent is clearly established between the IRC, IBC, and NFPA 13D, even if you haven't adopted the sections or the editions that provide the clarification.

Now, if you have an amendment that was specifically written to change the scope of any of these codes/standards, that is a different story. That would be pretty unusual, though.

I think it should be 13R. My boss says 13D. Have to go with 13D. Said he will not pay for a new copy of NFPA 13D for the new definition of Dwelling.

I think it should be 13R. My boss says 13D. Have to go with 13D. Said he will not pay for a new copy of NFPA 13D for the new definition of Dwelling.
He wouldn't need to pay for a copy. It can be viewed on their website for free. In any case, reading comprehension isn't for everyone. At least you'll know how to apply it properly when you're in the position to do so. Thanks for the update on the outcome.

Do any codes address "Manufactured Home" sprinkler system requirements? (IKA mobile homes)

Researching online, I see a lot of assumptions but don't see any code references that state sprinkler systems to be required. Thanks