• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

'15 IRC Table 507.6, deck beams

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have puzzled over this before and now that it is in code (something for which I am grateful) I want to hear some other input.

Footnote b. "Beams supporting deck joists to one side only". I understand the restriction if hung on one side of a built up beam, but does this also indicate that you could not use these spans for a drop girder?? And if you had a flush beam with joist hung on both sides how would the beam spans apply?

Read the text of Section R507.6 in order to understand the application of the Table. The table applies to beams "... s shown in Figure R507.6.."

I guess I am dense, I still don't understand how the footnote applies. If I have a dropped girder under a deck supporting joists from both sides can I not use this table? FWIW the I believe the DCA deck manual contains the same statement. Seems to me the beam could still be sized for the spans combined from both directions. Like I said if it were a flush beam with the joists attached to the face member of the beam from both sides I can see how there might be limitations on the individual face members.