• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 drinking fountains

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
An architect is planning to have the high and low drinking fountains on opposite sides of the building in different rooms. I can't find anything in the codes to tell him that they need to be next to each other. Help!

2012 IBC & 2009 ANSI.

Do you mean that the low will be in one place and the high will be in the other rather than a single combination unit that has the hi and lo tied together?

If that is the case, is this for the same occupancy where the public has access to both?

Why would he want to provide plumbing to 2 different places?

occupancy type and load. Not required to be located together, and could be wheel chair accessible at both locations

Not required to be located together, BUT a sign should be placed at each DF, directing users to the other

Gregg Harris said:
occupancy type and load. Not required to be located together, and could be wheel chair accessible at both locations
Nope, needs to be a high and low, not low and low

: - :

Agree with all of the above.......A minimum of two ADA compliant

drinking fountains are required for each location.....They can be

located separately from each other [ RE: 1109.5.1, `06 IBC ],

or one "High / Low" type.

I do disagree that four are required, if the "disabled" are directed to the appropriate High or Low DF

"Is the directional signage for drinking fountains in the I-codes?"
IMO, Section 1110.3, `06 IBC would be applicable to directing drinking fountain
users to the nearest ADA / Accessible drinking fountain when not combined at one location.

IMO, Section 1110.3, `06 IBC would beapplicable to directing drinking fountain users to the

nearest ADA / Accessible drinking fountain when not

combined at one location.
That section does not specify DF

"That section does not specify DF"
That's why it is stated as "special accessibility provisions" !.......Wouldn't
the AHJ be allowed to require signage for the two separate drinking fountains using
this section ?

never seen them intentionally split up and scattered throughout a space. Makes no sense for accessibility or construction

A hi/low combo is wider than just one fountain. I've had situations in retrofitting existing facilities where the available wall space (including adding appropriate wing walls) was just too small for a high/low combination in any one location, by the time you deal with other obstructions, strike side clearances for doors, etc. This typically occurs where there is a fountain in a hallway alcove just outside of the restroom entrances - - there are obstructions, doors, and level+clear requirements all over the place.

So, you make the existing fountain the "high" location, and find another place for the "low" fountain. Sometimes we can comandeer a second alcove that's an abandoned public telephone location.

This situation is not as rare as you'd think.

~ : ~ : ~

" I've had situations in retrofitting existing facilities where the available wall
space ( including adding appropriate wing walls ) was just too small for a high/low
combination in any one location, by the time you deal with other obstructions, strike side
clearances for doors, etc........This typically occurs where there is a fountain in a hallway
alcove just outside of the restroom entrances - - there are obstructions, doors, and
level+clear requirements all over the place. "
Was there any ADA / Accessible signage installed, directing [ potential ] users
to the other water founatin, or was it within sight, or other ?

~ : ~ : ~

It's happened on several projects. They were either within sight of each other, or in the same room / hallway, but just around the corner from each other. Remember, both the high and the low fountain are accessible: the low for persons in a wheelchair, and the high for people with back problems who can't bend over. In those scenarios, it made no sense to label both as accessible, since it would've ceased to be a useful distinction fro the user.

JPohling said:
never seen them intentionally split up and scattered throughout
a space. Makes no sense for accessibility or construction
Nothing about DF's placement or enforcement comes from sense of any sort.
If so, then we would see paper cups dispensers as an options for either scenario or
fail all users at that. Nothing like seeing youth drink from these with their lips right tight
to the spigot, etc.

Before you go there, just think, ..paper is good in the toilet room ( in lieu of a bidet and
air dryers ). Why isn't it good at the drinking fountain ?

= =

" Before you go there just think, paper is good in the toilet room (enlieu of bidet
and air dryers), why isn't it good at the drinking fountain."
I do not believe that cups; whether paper or other, will
meet the letter or the intent of Section 309.4 - `10 ADASAD, ...for graspability by one hand......Also,
the regular stocking and availibility of the cups [ typically ] is an issue of not providing equal access.

= =

I have almost same situation again. A million square foot one story S2 building that has more drinking fountains than required. All of the DF are far away from each other and out of sight of each other and in different rooms. There are six places where they installed a high and low DF next to each other. Also they are only installing a low drinking fountain at 4 separate locations. 2009 IBC 1109.5.2 requires extra drinking fountains to be 50% high and 50% low. I am telling them that they need to replace two of the low DF with two high DF.

They are asking me can if they replace the low DF at 2 different locations where they have a high and low DF next to each other with a high one. Then there will be two high DF next to each other at 2 locations but the total will be DF would be 16, 8 high and 8 low in the building. This seems like a bad design to me but I can't find a section in the code to restrict this. Can you help me out with this?