• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 garages built connected together.

I'd bet decent money there's an architect/engineer somewhere reasonably close to you who works out of a spare bedroom in his house that'll stamp some plans for you for under a thousand bucks. Keep calling around until you find him. Go to all the closest lumber yards and ask the guys at the counter for some phone numbers.

And don't build it smaller than you think you need. However big you think it needs to be, keep going bigger until you absolutely run out of money. There's nothing worse than a shed/shop/barn that's too small to use, and I've never met anybody who's built one, myself included, who's ever said "Man, I wish I would have built that shed smaller".....

The reality here is that he "wants" something for as close to "nothing" as he can get (smiling).

I live on 10 acres of field. I have 3 horses and bail our own hay. According to Pa law i should be able to get an agricultural permit and build it with out a building permit and inspections. But my township has decided that since i dont farm for a living and file a schedule F with the IRS that i cant have the agricultural permit. They dont care that i am using it to park tractors and put hay in. I dont know anyone who wants to spend more than is needed on a building. I am self employed anyway. I may just go file the schedule F and claim a loss. I know i sure dont make anything from it. Lol

If th3 township has those requirements in writing, you’re probably screwed. Maybe fil8ng a sched F is the easy solution.

I live on 10 acres of field. I have 3 horses and bail our own hay. According to Pa law i should be able to get an agricultural permit and build it with out a building permit and inspections. But my township has decided that since i dont farm for a living and file a schedule F with the IRS that i cant have the agricultural permit. They dont care that i am using it to park tractors and put hay in. I dont know anyone who wants to spend more than is needed on a building. I am self employed anyway. I may just go file the schedule F and claim a loss. I know i sure dont make anything from it. Lol

Maybe you can use the tax write off?

In PA you don't need to make a profit or be a farmer to have a ag building. Township laws cannot be over state law. You would win in court.

“Agricultural building.” - A structure utilized to store farm implements, hay, feed, grain or other agricultural or horticultural products or to house poultry, livestock or other farm animals, a milk house and a structure used to grow mushrooms, agricultural or horticultural products. The term includes a carriage house owned and used by members of a recognized religious sect for the purposes of housing horses and storing buggies. The term includes a structure that is less than 1000 square feet in size which is utilized to process maple sap. The term shall not include habitable space or spaces in which agricultural products are processed, treated or packaged and shall not be construed to mean a place of occupancy by the general public .

Examples that I was involved with:
Large for profit Horse race track won at court not to have permits for new stables.
Person won in court not to have permits for a building (not at a farm) that he planed to cut and split firewood in on a residential lot..