• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2006 IBC: Are dutch style doors permitted as a means of egress door?

Papio Bldg Dept said:
A-3 occupancy with child-care component. Dutch door serves a hallway that leads to egress door and child-care rooms. It will basically be used as a way to look down the hallway, but keep little ones back in their area. Doors swing into hallway. I do, but don't have the internet access to upload to a bucket site.
If you want to email me the plan I can upload it.

Interesting development, but not entirely dutch door specific. I have emailed a plan to Lori hoping it will help the discussion. I requested a listing for the hardware on the Dutch means of egress door and clarification on operations:

Rockwood 630 4 inch Door Surface Bolt

(Bolt joins the top and bottom leaf of each door by manual user operation. Door handle hardware functions independently from bolt.)

Corbin Russwin CL3355 (ANSI F84)

-Deadlocking latchbolt by lever either side, except when key outside locks outside lever. (Lever handle is free-wheeling in locked position.)

-Outside lever unlocked by key outside.

-Inside lever always free.

Well since it is not a rated door, put some hold open device on both sections.

That way the doors can be held in full open position and not worry about someone hitting it

http://www.reidsupply.com/sku/HH-38/

Other then that looks legal

More then likely after they move in and use it, the top will be blocked open

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Thanks Lori & cda.cda...I am pretty sure that link you posted is definitely not legal in at least 12 states.
Que???

If it is not a rated door or corridor the doors can be blocked open

;) I was joking about the male/female rubber..."door holder." I am short-staffed again and no lunch break might be my breaking point. Thanks for posting it, I will forward it on to the applicant.

Paul Sweet said:
The dutch door needs to swing the other way to give the 1-2 & 3-5 rooms 2 means of egress.
Que???

Looks like most rooms have exterior door to outside,

Except K2 and to not see an issue there??

I personally do not like Dutch doors....... They have a tendency to become misadjusted, not maintained, and always seem to shut (the top portion) thus making somebody do the limbo to get under the door...........

Not hard to do when wearing regular clothing... but (showing my age now) when wearing bunker gear. a thirty pound air pack, and carrying radio, forcible tools, and a flashlight - it is extremely hard to do the limbo when not expected in smokey conditions. (PS did I add that I am a 6 footer and weighed almost 200 lbs - fighting weight days of yesteryear)

and for the door person

Dutch door is defined in the 2015.

Guess some people had trouble between a dutch door and a italy door???