• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IFC Chapter 4 question

kasa

In IFC 404.2 (2009) it says that F occupancy type has to prepare a fire safety and evac plan but it says that is only for the building having an occupant load of 500 or more persons or more than 100 persons above or below the lowest level of exit discharge. Then in IFC Table 405.2 (2009), it says Group F has to do a fire and evacuation drill once a year, of employees.... it doesn't say that only certain sizes have to do the drills. So, this would mean that *every* F occupancy has to do the annual drill, regardless of occupant load or number of persons??? Or was it meant to have the footnote "c" on the F occupancy (and then also modify the footnote itself to include F occupancy?) It seems like F occupancy is the only one on the drill table that thus includes some places which don't prepare a plan... smaller places though, so maybe they don't need a plan, but it was still necessary they have a drill?

I'm sorry, I hope this is explained well. I was at work all giddy just thinking maybe I've found a typo in the code... lol

Is this the answer;;

SECTION 405 EMERGENCY EVACUATION DRILLS

405.1 General. Emergency evacuation drills complying with the provisions of this section shall be conducted at least annually in the occupancies listed in Section 404.2 or when required by the fire code official. Drills shall be designed in cooperation with the local authorities.