• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IRC Gas Dryers vs Electric Dryer Exhaust Duct Length

Mule

Platinum Member
This does not make sense. Why does the 2009 IRC allow gas dryers exhaust vent to be 35 feet and an electric dryer is limited to 25 feet?

I would think it would be the other way around!

And the exception....unless manufactuers say that the exhaust may be longer. Then the installations instructions must be at the rough-in framing AND installed on the final AND the inspector hast to verify that that dryer is the one originally specified. Then the homeowner sells...moves...new owner brings in a dryer that won't meet the specifications of the original dryer!!!

Gotta love the codes!

When adopting the 2009 [ or later code versions ], amend that section

to have a max. length of 25 ft. incorporated in to the AHJ adopting

language, ...for all dryer types! ;)

Mule,

Yes, some manufacturer's allow 60' or more.

It does get worse; is everyone enforcing the tag requirement?

2009 IRC; M1502.4.5 and G2439.5.6; both, require a permenant metal tag located within 6 ft of the exhaust duct connection; where exhaust duct is concealed within the building construction; giving the equivelent length of the duct. (When is the last time you saw a dryer duct that was not concealed in the building construction?)

This will mean nothing to the second homeowner or appliance salesman.

If you follow the IRC you cannot control the length of the dryer exhaust duct.

As I say in my signature; " The less you know, the easier your job is." Some of us will never learn to stop learning. lol

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
my dryer duct isn't concealed, UB.

My technical advisory group (IRC) sent this issue to the fire code group... they say.. no problem.. maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner... (the responder was from the fire department).

UMC still limits them to 14 feet! Subtract 2 feet for every 90 degree bend above the first 2. Otherwise, engineer it!

Both IMC & IFGC say 35' for dryer vent, so we amended IRC electric dryer section to 35' so it is the same for all residential style dryers. We are going to be enforcing the tag requirement also (just switched to 2009 on permits pulled after June 1, so no finals under it yet). Where I can see its going to be tricky is if a house is built with a main floor laundry, exhaust duct going down through an unfinished basement, no tag is required because it is exposed. When the basement gets finished 2 years later, now a tag needs to get put in because the dryer is getting concealed. A lot of contractors are going to miss that one. With the tag, at least a homeowner that does pay attention to such things has a way of knowing what they are dealing with. We specifically told our contractors no sharpie markers on the wall for permanent labels. There are some that would do that and then say "The city made me do that".

Virginia has a 35' requirement for all types amended in with the state code for the 2006 cycle. I hope it stays that way.