• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IRC Rebar in Footings

Mark K said:
IceWhat do you not understand about complying with the law?
Your entire argument rests on the premise that the code is perfect and so must be the enforcers. The code is law and the law is all that we need. Flawed humans have authority to enforce the law but due to the flaw, no authority to ruminate law. Does that pretty much sum it up?

For lack of an argument you are saying, "Ya well, it's the law ya know" The refrain is a pronouncement of capitulation.

Reasonable persons will, in the coarse of enforcing codes, find inconsistencies, discrepancies, omissions, arbitrary strictures, etc. all the way to bold faced mistakes.

Pay attention to the meat of the matter before you trot out the "Well it's the law"

And fatboy, quit scratching your head, ruminate has nothing to do with a cow.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record I do have problems with concrete without reinforcement and as an engineer I will likely have obligations to do more than the minimum required by the building code. But that is between me, my client, and the courts.

High Desert said:
Mark, don't you know ICE stands for Imprudent Code Enforcement
That's funny...no really, I enjoyed that. Impertinent fits too.. Hey I know, Let's see how many permutations there are. I've already thought of a few more and none of them are nice.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings; I'll never give you that kind of control....this could be fun...Why did it take you so long to come up with this?

....hit me with your best shot....fire away...sing it fatboy...er..uh...Pat

Well we better take **** off the table right now but everything else is fair game.

High Desert said:
Wasn't meant to be nice.
I've always known that about you.....and like I said, nice doesn't matter......

I don't figure you to be a one trick pony so let's see where this goes.

WE always ask for a soil bearing test in conformance with R401.4 or add 2 # 4 minimum to the footings, along with the vertical footing dowels that will match the vertical reinforcing required. In this portion of NY State we mostly see masonry walls, not poured concrete walls, and the reinforcing requirements are spelled out in the Tables. Most of our soil conditions are clay.

Am not clear where the code allows you to substitute added reinforcement for determining the soil bearing strength.

While reinforcing will help mitigate the impact of soft soils it is not clear that this amount of reinforcing will always be effective

DSCN6978-Version2.jpg