• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IRC1411-6 Locking access port caps

Gregg Harris

Saw Horse
Refrigerant access ports located outdoors shall be fitted with locking type tamper resistant caps.

Now that A/C season is here this subject is getting a lot of attention from service contractors as to the" required" need to add to existing equipment when servicing, or only to new installations.

It would be my contention that only on new installations.

I will post in commercial later, There is slightly different verbiage for IMC.

Any thoughts or opinions?

There is only two companies to my knowledge that manufactures the caps and both can be easily removed.

I'd say they need to be installed on installations/replacements requiring permits. Most service work falls outside that scope.

IMO, they're worthless for anyone serious about access to the refrigerant. The tool to remove them properly can be purchased online for less than the cost of a case of cheap beer. Then there are the options for improper removal . . .

IMO, they're worthless for anyone serious about access to the refrigerant. The tool to remove them properly can be purchased online for less than the cost of a case of cheap beer. Then there are the options for improper removal . . .
Agree

Another emotionally charged code requirement

What constitutes tamper resistant?

Pill bottle caps are tamper resistant to a 5 year old and the elderly.

If I can't remove the cap without the need of tools then it is tamper resistant.

Paperclip works to remove at least one brand of tamper resistant cap.

Icepick works on freon line or condenser if cannot get cap off.

Requirement was added by assembly action over committee denial after emotional testamony from a woman who had lost a young daughter who had been shown the joys of huffing by her HVAC tech BF.

Huffers have found the keys already--waste of time and money except for the profit of the locking caps people.

Provision does not work to stop the undesirable behaviour of huffers stealing refrigerant resulting in expensive service calls to recharge the system--works about as well as restricting sudafed keeps people from making meth--pushes them to theft or to more dangerous ways of getting high such as the unstable shake and bake meth method that uses less sudafed but can blow up in your face filling burn wards or to huffing gasoline or propane instead of freon.

Introduce purple dye to the freon charge. If that doesn't work try agent orange.

And the high profit margin of the service contractors telling the consumer that they are required by law on service calls when working on the units. This only leads to huge service call expenses for the consumer if improperly installed, or they are removed with pliers and the threads on the service valves are damaged. The cost to the consumer for refrigerant can and is in excess of $100.00 per pound. Imagine the cost of your service call if your system holds 15 pounds of refrigerant!

I was there in San Diego, then it was a son, IIRC. Either way the committee voted to deny. Floor action at the next meeting over-road the committee.

Was it Minneapolis where it passed? I remember the endless testimony and couldn't believe when it was approved. grrr......stupid code change. JMHO