• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2010 ada standards for accessible design

Mark,

I don't understand. Is this 2010 ADA for government facilities only or will state and local governments adopt this to replace the ANSI A117?

Aegis, good document, I will certainly be sharing with our Owners and Tenants.

BTW, you can call the number at the front of the standard and the government will send you hard copies.

GCtony said:
Mark,I don't understand. Is this 2010 ADA for government facilities only or will state and local governments adopt this to replace the ANSI A117?

Aegis, good document, I will certainly be sharing with our Owners and Tenants.
ADA is a civil rights law.

The 2010 ADA standards for accessible design is a set of Standards for design Professionals that show how to comply with the ADA.

Some Federal agencies are under the Architectural Barriers Act of 1968 (ABA).

Some Federal agencies are under the Architectural with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).

The ADA has several Titles:

Title I - Employment

Title II - Public Services

Subtitle A covers state and local governments generally;

Subtitle B applies to most public transportation systems

Title III - Public Accommodations and Services (including transportation) Operated by Private Entities

Title IV - Telecommunications

Title V - Miscellaneous Provisions

Some are just for Governmental but most must be followed by all of us.

The ADA is not usually enforced at the local level, it is a federal Law.

All design professionals need to design their buildings with the ADA standards and the "local or state" code requirements.

Some states have adopted the ADASAD as their guidelines