• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2012 IRC E3405.1 Working space and clearances

skipharper

A sump flush to the finished floor is located directly in front of an electrical panel 6" off wall-is this in the working clearance space for the panel?

Thanks all, I feel the same way because it is flush and the pipes leaving actually left the sump and went up the wall outside the working space by design so the installer knew what he was doing. I guess most home inspectors get certified thru Walmart and certainly lack common sense.

fatboy said:
if there were ... a flush top, i think you would have to accept it............
metal cover?

2010_03_sump1.JPG

steveray said:
Pipe might be the violation in that one...but the cover looks OK...
So your going to stand on a metal plate and stick your hand into the panel? A braver man than I Gunga Din...

Last edited by a moderator:
mark handler said:
So your going to stand on a metal plate and stick your hand into the panel? A braver man than I Gunga Din...
It's all about the PPE....You are sticking your hands in a live panel after all....Should we not put panels in steel buildings?

The cover material, is not an issue, agree the pipe may be a violation, but not the cover.....

mark handler said:
Who said steel Building?
Steel cover, steel deck floor, wood framed warehouse with steel plates on the floor, concrete floor with steel in it....I don't know that electricity cares what you are standing on if you do something dumb....See BB post...