• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 IBC, multi familly wood framed VB wood strapping in ceiling

wmott

SAWHORSE
Does anyone have info on a fire rated assembly with wood strapping?
Its an Existing building, New 3/4" plywood sub floor, existing 2x12 joists (12 and 16" OC at laces) Existing 1x3 strapping, New 1/2" resilient channels, 5/8" Type X drywall.

All test reports I have found show the drywall either directly on the joists, or on metal resilient channels. None with 1x3 wood strapping.

From some reading, It seems wood strapping on the ceiling is a U.S., North East thing. With most other parts of the country not doing it (not sure about the world). Drywall goes straight onto joists elsewhere. I read the history of the strapping was to level the ceiling plain by shimming the strapping. In other parts of the country (world?), better quality wood was available so this was not done.

Thinking (hoping) this is why I can not find a tested assembly with wood strapping. And it is not an issue.

Thanks

Does anyone have info on a fire rated assembly with wood strapping?
Its an Existing building, New 3/4" plywood sub floor, existing 2x12 joists (12 and 16" OC at laces) Existing 1x3 strapping, New 1/2" resilient channels, 5/8" Type X drywall.

All test reports I have found show the drywall either directly on the joists, or on metal resilient channels. None with 1x3 wood strapping.

From some reading, It seems wood strapping on the ceiling is a U.S., North East thing. With most other parts of the country not doing it (not sure about the world). Drywall goes straight onto joists elsewhere. I read the history of the strapping was to level the ceiling plain by shimming the strapping. In other parts of the country (world?), better quality wood was available so this was not done.

Thinking (hoping) this is why I can not find a tested assembly with wood strapping. And it is not an issue.

Thanks

Call the beaver people, probably best source

My father was a carpenter, and when he watch the show, he always had comments on techniques used :)
Plus, This Old House is based in New England where strapping is the "Norm"

Looking for something I can put in the file qualifying it.

Thanks

Update-
No update. Have the question out to the AWC and to WoodWorks.org.
Will update once I have an answer.

I am born and bread in New England, and all my wood framed projects have always had strapping.
Can anyone confirm that in the rest of the country / world, wood strapping the joists for drywall is not done?

Thanks