• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 IFC Section 507.2.1 and NFPA 24 definition of "private"fire service main.

khsmith55

Bronze Member
4 Story Apartment Building, NFPA 13 Sprinkler System, Type VA Construction. Reference 2015 IFC, Section 507.2.1 and NFPA 24 (2013 and 2019 Editions). Could someone please provide me with a definition of a private service main (is there a definition in NFPA 24) as opposed to a "public" service main. The water/fire supply is provided by the Municipal Water Authority (which I might consider a "public" service, not a "private"). The Plan Reviewer has referenced 2019 NFPA 24 Section 10.4.3.1, the "adopted" Edition is the 2013 (IFC Chapter 80) which I can not find a similar reference to.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken

I would say private/ public is in the eye of the beholder.

In our city the city owns all water mains, fire hydrants.

Where a tap is made for the fire sprinkler main only, that is private.

Other cities I have worked in,,, once it crosses the property line everything is private, mains and fire hydrants.

Update, having read the definition in NFPA 24 it appears once the water service (domestic or fire) crosses the lot line it is a "private service line". The ME has indicated the service entering the building on the opposite side of the mechanical room (40' away, > 10' permitted). Looking at options now. Run the fire line "around" the building or run the fire line in an open trench for the 40' through the building or find a reasonable alternate location for a riser room. Thanks for all the help.

Ken

From NFPA 24 (2019 edition):

3.3.13 Private Fire Service Main. A private fire service main, as used in this standard, is that pipe and its appurtenances on private property that is between a source of water and the base of the system riser for water-based fire-protection systems; between a source of water and inlets fo foam-making systems; between a source of water and the base elbow of private hydrants or monitor nozzles; and used as fire pump suction and discharge piping, beginning at the inlet side of the check valve on a gravity or pressure tank.​