• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 IMC 68 degree requirement in a drive thru building.

JCdesignlawton

I have a drive thru ice dock project. It is a 24'x35' steel building. It has an entry and exit 12x11 front and back for the drive thru. The doors will be open at all times. The cooler and employee areas are all open to the drive thru for ease of access. There is 175,000 btuh infrared ceiling mounted radiant heater for this area. We have proper exhaust ventilation for fumes at drive thru area, and several wall mounted fans for circulation in work areas. Now after completion the Mechanical inspector is coming back with the 68 degree minimum. This project went through approval and permitting with nothing being said. On design, I treated this as an outdoor use more or less as the doors will be open when occupied. The City has come back that it has to be treated as an enclosed space. The City is wanting me to add a wall and enclose the space. If we do this we will be grossly oversized on the heater, not mention cost. I have been through code and cannot find any exceptions for this. Can anyone give me some guidance on this? Where I can find something that will let me consider this an outdoor use maybe?

Look at section IMC 309.1, this is where the requirement is. I would say either one of the exceptions would apply in this case:
1. Interior spaces where the primary purpose is not associated with human comfort.
2. Group F, H, S, and U occupancies.

Look at section IMC 309.1, this is where the requirement is. I would say either one of the exceptions would apply in this case:
1. Interior spaces where the primary purpose is not associated with human comfort.
2. Group F, H, S, and U occupancies.
Use group is M, and they won't bite on exception 1. I got in touch with the manufacturers engineer and he did some calcs, should work unless they stick to their guns. I'll keep posted.