• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IBC Section 1026 & 1027

SAT

Sawhorse
Proposed three story apartment building with four fire walls dividing the building. Attached is the floor plan of the 2nd and 3rd floor. The architect is using in two compartments 100% horizontal exits and does not feel that the stair is required to be separated from the interior of the building.

2018 IBC Section 1026.1 states “…where two or more exits are required, not more than one-half of the total number of exits or total exit minimum width or required capacity shall be horizontal exits.”

The commentary States the “Section 1026.4 allows for some areas to have all the exits from a space to be horizontal exits under specific conditions.”

From our viewpoint, and contrary to the commentary, there is nowhere in Section 1026.1 that designates 1026.4 as an exception; if it were, it would be stated along with the other exceptions listed in section 1026.1.

Q #1 : Can a three story apartment building have several compartments with 100% of the exits on the upper floor as horizontal exits if they use corridors as refuge area per Section 1026.4?

Q #2 : “Refuge area” vs “area of refuge”. IBC 1026.4 refers to a “refuge area”. We notice this term is not in italics and not specifically defined in section 202. However, “area of refuge” has very specific requirements to be met in accordance with section 1009.6. Are these two terms referring to the same thing or are they intended to be different?

The floor plan attached is the 2nd and 3rd floor plan of three story apartment building which the architect is considering the stair as exterior stair and not providing separation between stair and corridors citing the Section 1027.6 exception #3.

Exterior exit stairways:

Q #3 : Referring to the attached floor plan, are the corridors considered "open-ended" corridor, with the exterior exit stairway at both ends, when there are fire walls dividing the building (red Lines) and code requires when changing direction exceeding 45, a clear opening shall be provided.

From our point of view, the stairs as submitted are required to be separated from the interior of the building as required in section 1023.2 based on Section 1027.6

Attachments

• Floor Plan.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 25
Give you my non tech answer

I don’t think they need area of refuge.

Yes they can have open stairs.

Once you are through the rated walls, you have access to exits, do not have to refuge.

Reactions: SAT
Are they using horizontal exits due to travel distance??

Looks like the code (1026.4.2) limits the exits from the refuge area to directly outside or to an interior exit stairway, which is enclosed by a fire resistive assembly, and does not list exterior exit stairs as an option.

The exception would allow a horizontal exit to not have either the door outside or the interior exit stairway as long as the adjacent refuge area does have either the door to the outside or the interior exit stairway. But in any refuge area that provides exits it looks like at least one would need to be an interior exit stair

I think the layout is compliant with regards to access to the exits and the required refuge areas, but not in the respect that at least one of the exit stairs does not need to be enclosed.

Refuge area in these sections is entirely different from area of refuge in the accessible egress section. Though not defined, it is explained and prescribed in 1026.4 and 1026.4.1.

Disclaimer: I have only dealt with a few of these, (I have one building using them right now, and both refuge areas are sized properly and lead to interior exit stairs) so my knowledge may be flawed. RLG will be a more confident and accurate answer, so wait for his reply.

Ok the other thought is

You do not have horizontal exits!!! Wild thought???

You have fire walls that break down building area.

As long as you meet travel distance from anywhere in the building, The rated walls/ doors do not matter!!!!

In otter words,,,

Just because you have a two hour wall,,,

Does not mean you have a horizontal exit.

Sifu, they are using fire walls due to travel distance and allowable area. Thank you for clarifying refuge area, that is what I was reading but it is a change from 2009 IBC. I was just needed reassurance.
I still am struggling with the stairs not being enclosed (not providing separation between stair and corridors).

cda, from 2nd and 3rd floor two exits are required from each compartment and both exits are going through fire walls and not directly to enclosed stair that is why they are a horizontal exits. Thank for your input greatly appreciated.

Sifu, they are using fire walls due to travel distance and allowable area. Thank you for clarifying refuge area, that is what I was reading but it is a change from 2009 IBC. I was just needed reassurance.
I still am struggling with the stairs not being enclosed (not providing separation between stair and corridors).

cda, from 2nd and 3rd floor two exits are required from each compartment and both exits are going through fire walls and not directly to enclosed stair that is why they are a horizontal exits. Thank for your input greatly appreciated.

According to the plan the greatest midpoint is 147 feet.

What is the travel distance max allowed???

Just because there is a fire wall, does not always mean your travel distance stops, or that it interferes with access to a second exit

250 feet they are good.

cda, thanks for the link

Do it appears at any point in the building, as shown on the plans,

They are not over 250 feet,,

The horizontal exits are not needed,

They are there just to make the building bigger,