• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IEBC Level 3 Alteration - Replacing Windows

redbird11

SAWHORSE
Hello,
I'm seeking to understand how the 2018 IEBC and IECC view the performance requirements of replacement windows on commercial projects.

907.1 reads as though the altered elements shall conform with the IECC without requiring the unaltered elements to be brought up to code.

Then turning to the IECC for existing buildings I'm not sure what to reference. Anyone familiar with this scenario?

On my house replacing the window sash was considered a repair and thus not subject to some of the current code requirements.

Hello,
I'm seeking to understand how the 2018 IEBC and IECC view the performance requirements of replacement windows on commercial projects.

907.1 reads as though the altered elements shall conform with the IECC without requiring the unaltered elements to be brought up to code.

Then turning to the IECC for existing buildings I'm not sure what to reference. Anyone familiar with this scenario?
If you are replacing the windows, they must comply with the IECC.
If you are not replacing the windows, you don't have to.
I may not be understanding your question.

Straight replacement of windows would be a level 1 alteration....But the windows would have to meet IECC as new....

C501.5 New and replacement materials. Except as otherwise
required or permitted by this code, materials permitted
by the applicable code for new construction shall be used.
Like materials shall be permitted for repairs, provided hazards
to life, health or property are not created. Hazardous
materials shall not be used where the code for new construction
would not permit use of these materials in buildings of
similar occupancy, purpose and location.