• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IFC 9164.6.1 exception commentary

It makes perfect sense...the sprinkler system is severely compromised by the obstruction of the heads reaching the hazard. Egress travel distance/CPET has been lengthened by building a "temporary" room with one direction out...Maybe it is not likely that something will happen in/ at the enclosure, I just don't understand why they need all of the safety cheats for a performance...

The hazard is very small from very limited combustibles and there are multiple means of egress. Besides, it was approved by committee and membership with no opposition. And prior to the change, that specifically excepted portable orchestra shells, it was the common practice not to. No one had heard of sprinkling a shell until a particular project, which prompted me to propose adding the specific exception.

Residential sprinklers made it in too and the vast majority of the country cut that back out too.....A lot of "dumb" changes are getting made which is why I am getting more involved now and trying to get more code folks involved....The catastrophes will happen and we will go back the other way at some point I am sure...