• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 NEC 600.5 required sign outlet.

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Odd that this in the Article 600 Electric Signs and Outline Lighting. Who would think of looking for it if you were not looking at a sign. I would think it should be in Article 210 Branch Circuits. No exceptions. The second paragraph is from the NEC Handbook.

600.5 Branch Circuits.
(A) Required Branch Circuit. Each commercial building and each commercial occupancy accessible to
pedestrians shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at each entrance.
to each tenant space for sign or outline lighting system use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied by a
branch circuit rated at least 20 amperes that supplies no other load. Service hallways or corridors
shall not be considered accessible to pedestrians.

This requirement is not contingent on whether an electric sign will be installed at the time an
occupant moves in, since it is not uncommon to install an electric sign after the space is occupied.
or when a new occupant moves into an existing space.

I would like what other electrical plan reviewers and inspectors and also any architects answer my questions or have any comments.

1. Is this always required in all new commercial buildings even if there are no signs on the plans? (Usually the sign company gets their own permit after the permit was already issued for the building or after the C O.)
2. Is this required for alterations in an existing commercial building?
3. Is it required when there is change of occupancy?
4. is this required even if no electrical work is being done in a commercial building?
5. If the entrance to the tenant space is inside a hall or mall is it still required.
6. Is it only a requirement if installing an electrical sign somewhere on the property?
7. If there are multiple buildings on the same site for the same tenant is this required on every entrance for every building?
8. Would it be required at employee and loading entrances?

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. It depends on the nature and scope of the alterations.
3. Does the change of occupancy involve electrical alterations?
4. IMHO, no.
5. Yes
6. No.
7. Yes
8. IMHO, no

Another one that's often overlooked in mercantile occupancies is the requirement for a receptacle outlet near the ceiling at display windows. The purpose is the same -- to have a power source for future electrified signs, or even Christmas decorations. (Sorry, don't remember the article number, but my electrical inspector cites it often.)

I still don't understand why this is required in all buildings when it was hiding in the article about signs and not in the Article 210, required outlets section, like the requirement for a receptacle outlet near the ceiling at display windows that you mentioned. Why would anyone see this requirement unless they are doing a plan review for signs. I just happen to come across it when I was looking up something for signs. This is like I should be looking in the article for elevators when doing a plan review for a one-story garage, there could be a requirement for all buildings to have an outlet for a future elevator.

600.1 Scope. This article covers the installation of conductors,
equipment, and field wiring for electric signs, retrofit kits,
and outline lighting, regardless of voltage. All installations and
equipment using neon tubing, such as signs, decorative elements,
skeleton tubing, or art forms, are covered by this article.

I think this requirement comes from the "Yes Were Open" signs to prevent tenants from using extension cords and cord trip hazards? Could be totally off base with this speculation. Hoe far back can the requirement be traced?