• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2021 IECC Mechanical Ventilation Testing Requirement

Coder

Silver Member
Does anyone else that is considering adopting the 2021 IECC think that Section 403.6.3 Testing of mechanical ventilation systems (HRV's, ERV's, Bathroom fans, etc.) is excessive? Thinking about deleting it.

Man, come visit us in CA and I can show you excessive! I wish we had the option to delete some things I don't agree with, but that's not the CA way... <sigh>

I believe so. Like I said before, seems excessive
Agreed. Our AHJ is blindly adopting the 21's. I did a complete review of the IBC and 2017 ANSI in prep to help me since that is mostly where I live, haven't had time to go through the IECC, IPC, IMC and IFGC, but nobody else bothers. Then when this stuff pops up they get indignant.

Have to say that i see 90% of the houses without actual ventilation. Sure, there is a report by some 3rd party somewhere saying it is in the house, when in reality it was never verified. Years back our towns adoped energy star v2. Now that that program has been sunseted years ago most require a HERS rated house. For us at least this has simplified many things, as measuring ventilation is a minimum rated feature. The difficult part is educating us ceos. There has been many years without any oversight, and decay has effected many. Just yesterday i did a final and found the bathroom exhaust fan exhausting into the attic, zero ventilation in the house, closed cell foam against (and on) a singlewall boiler flue. Zero combustion testing, with a certificate saying that house passed NYS code from a 3rd party....

I’m not opposed to a balance report for Residential. With homes becoming tightened up balancing is the next logical step. While inconvenient and another fee tacked onto the home price, for some it may be worthwhile.

The old v2, in my area that was used by National as an above code program however we continued with our energy rough and finals and as with every program it had it flaws however I’d say the flaws were production/workload related not the program in itself.