• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2021 International Building Code

CodeWarrior

Some of the 2021 International Codes are available now. But not the IBC.
ICC will sell copies right now as a "pre-order" and the fine print says the books will be available in October. So ok, other publishers offer pre-orders but they usually give an exact release date. Not sometime in "October."

I added 10 copies to the cart for a cost of $1560, no discount code or no member price. What was surprising is that ICC adds shipping fees even for that dollar amount. It comes to $62.40 for their basic shipping, & arriving when is not clear.

This was amazing in that ICC will take your money now with a vague ship date and still charge for shipping. Further, even a fairly large order of $1560 doesn't help nudge ICC to offer free shipping.

Here is the crazy part. For overnight shipping, the cost rises to $347.72! Wow! So if you place a order with no firm shipping date, ICC will "overnight" them to you for a 22 % surcharge. Plus tax.

Having Amazon Prime makes sense for this. Or maybe ICC members get free shipping?

As a member, I would pay $1170.00 plus $46.80 std shipping. $114.99 for 2-day FedEx and $300.16 for overnight

TheCommish is right! I can always get a better deal for our building department by calling. Btw, no I do not automatically get any discounts! Lol!

I doubt that you would get free shipping but it's been my experience that ICC staff can bundle orders depending on what your needs are and save at least a little money.

Why would ICC need to offer any kind of a deal? They do not need to entice people to buy from them. They have a monopoly. It's not like you can just go buy your ICC code books elsewhere.

I don't offer contractors volume discount in permit fees.

Lots of companies bundle products for a little bit of savings. The only time I have received a small discount is with large orders when we update our codes every three years.

Lots of companies bundle products for a little bit of savings. The only time I have received a small discount is with large orders when we update our codes every three years.
It's fine if ICC wants to offer a discount, doesn't matter to me at all. I was just surprised at the belief that there should be a discount.

Update: ICC Now states the IBC will be out in soft cover in early November, while loose leaf and PDF will come forth in late October.

ICC recently dismissed a number of employees after placing them on furlough for months. We will see if they can actually provide overnight shipping with smaller staff.

# ~ # ~ #

CodeWarrior,

In my "very limited" experience, ICC may be following the paths of other companies
by reducing their operating costs and furloughing some staff...…..Typically, they [ could ]

contract out those services much cheaper than retaining employees...…..The costs of
shipping & handling would be included in the contract with the publisher of the Codes
& Standards, and just like Amazon, ...shipped right from the publisher themselves.
E-mailing is a very cost effective way to transfer documents...…..It is part of the new
working environment of the whole world [ i.e. - constant costs reduction through
technology ].

# ~ # ~ #