• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2021 IRC/WSEC Adoption?

SDS

I'm reading the link below, which says the adoption of the 2021 codes, specifically to me, the IRC and Wa State energy code, has been delayed until July 2023.

Is this true?

Thanks for any input, I have a hard time following code cycles ever since covid threw off the schedule.

Kind of correct. The petition to delay failed; therefore there was no change to the effective date. Effective date is July 1, 2023.

Fellow Washingtonian here FYI

Yet we still can not get our code books or state amendments for the 21 code cycle. My money is on a push to November.

Yet we still can not get our code books or state amendments for the 21 code cycle. My money is on a push to November.
SBCC is saying that we will see them in April. That said, the managing director of the SBCC initially indicated that he would not be preparing the insert pages at all. Fortunately, several of the council members pushed back against his plan and they are now in the works, albeit late.

I'm not hopeful given how bad the last code cycle went. Even if it does come in April that gives us such little time to read, understand, interpret, and educate the public to the coming changes especially in the WSEC.

@steveray We still don't have our state amendments or our energy code adopted by the state legislator, and by state law we have a code change as of July first of this year.

@steveray We still don't have our state amendments or our energy code adopted by the state legislator, and by state law we have a code change as of July first of this year.
The WA legislature does not have to adopt. The code must sit through the legislative cycle, but unless taken up, it is approved by default. Currently, the legislative body has not taken up any bill seeking to modify or stop the adoption. There were several bills proposed to make modifications, but all failed to move out of committee, so the codes are basically set. Check out the CR-103 published by the SBCC.