• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2nd floor under 3000

jar546

Forum Coordinator
ANSI A117.1 2003 & IBC 2009 Apply (fed regs too of course)

Converting a structure into a completely different use and occupancy. Each floor less than 3,000 square feet. 1st floor training room, church youth education, 2nd floor pastoral offices.

My understanding is that the 2nd floor does not have to be accessible. Correct?

What if the floors were reversed and they wanted the youth on the 2nd floor? Would that matter?

Churches are exempt from ADA

They are not exempt from state building codes

2nd floor offices, do not need wheelchair access, but Stairs, restooms, signs and any other added features need to be accessible.

There are more kinds of access than just wheelchairs.

Any Privately owned, second floor renovations, do not need wheelchair access, unless leased or owned by a govermental agency, or a medical facility(offices), ect.

And remember ANSI A117.1 2003 is not a code it is a standard.

"What if the floors were reversed and they wanted the youth on the 2nd floor? Would that matter?"

Wouldn't that depend on the defined "Primary Function" Sec 3411.4.2 #2 At least one accessible route from an accessible building entrance to primary function areas.

Bill

Good response KZ but I would say no. An accessible route requirement is found in Chapter 11 not 34 and there is the exception.

1104.4 Multilevel buildings and facilities

Exception

1. An accessible route is not required to stories and mezzanines that have an aggregate area of not more than 3,000 square feet (278.7 m2) and are located above and below accessible levels.

A change of occupancy should not have any more requirements than new construction.

Great responses, looks like we are all on the same page for the most part. My thought was of primary function if they were to put the youth groups on the 2nd floor.

I think there is currently something legal going on regarding the accessible requirements of the building code and churches. Something about the feds excempted the churches therefore the local also has to excempt the church from accessible requirements.

Examiner said:
I think there is currently something legal going on regarding the accessible requirements of the building code and churches. Something about the feds excempted the churches therefore the local also has to excempt the church from accessible requirements.
No.

Places of worship are exempt from ADA.

They are not exempt from the building code.

Whatever accessibility is required by the building code applies to churches.

The PA L & I told me that the 2nd floor would not need an accessible egress if the floor does not require a accessable route to it even in a new building. This seems like L & I is making up it's own rules since 2009 IBC 1007.1 clearly does requires an accessible egress.

Everything on the upper floors needs to be designed for accessibility. The only exception is the access to the upper floors. Elevators or ramps are not required. Everything else is.

I talked with ICC about this on a project about a year ago. Even the accessible means of egress must be provided. The reasoning is that if access is provided, then the only thing needed is that access and there will not be extensive modifications needed for accessibility. Additionally, there are other types of accessibility concerns with the accessible means of egress. A person using crutches can gain access to the upper floor via stairs even without an elevator as can a person using prosthetics. The accessible means of egress is for them as well.

Don't rember who I talked to at L & I ( I think it was who ever was the head of the accessiblity board ) but I was told that if the story doesn't need an accessible route it doesn't need an accessible egress. I don't agree with this but I go by what they say.

An accessible egress is anyone of the 8 items listed

1007.2 Continuity and components.

Each required accessible means of egress shall be continuous to a public way and shall consist of one or more of the following components:

1. Accessible routes complying with Section 1104.

2. Interior exit stairways complying with Sections 1007.3 and 1022.

3. Exterior exit stairways complying with Sections 1007.3 and 1026.

4. Elevators complying with Section 1007.4.

5. Platform lifts complying with Section 1007.5.

6. Horizontal exits complying with Section 1025.

7. Ramps complying with Section 1010.

8. Areas of refuge complying with Section 1007.6.