• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3 Family Deck/ Stairs

Does not appear to meet any modern day codes!;) I'd go out the front door!

Meets the ball rule!

Hay my brother in law the plumber built it!!!

Check his plumbing permit

JCarver, when they go to demo it, see if they can keep it intact, you could use as a dear stand!:rolleyes:

I believe in Canada that ladder style guard is not permitted but hear in the US it's allowed if meeting the 4" sphere requirement.

I believe in Canada that ladder style guard is not permitted but hear in the US it's allowed if meeting the 4" sphere requirement.

When I was selling a 3 family I had in MA, the newer local inspector, was calling me on the "climbability" requirement...Which I politely explained is not even required today, nevermind something they issued a C of O on in 1990...That was existing to remain...

A larger issue may be that if it is a required Means of Egress, doesn't it have to be separated from the interior of the building with a fire rated exterior wall with all doors & windows within 10' of the stairs being protected with a fire rating also?
The stairs become pretty useless if the first floor unit is on fire and blocking the stairs from the second & third floors.