• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3rd party certifications of plug in equipment

mark handler said:
CE-mark is a self-certification, where in the electrical code does it allow for a company to self certify it products?My product is safe, take my word for it.... i built it to my standards, you don't need to inspect.
hummm

so in other words they do not have to spend a trillion dollars to get the desk lamp listed??

http://www.ce-marking.org/how-obtain.html

Some directives require that a manufacturer designate in the European Union an authorized representative to produce Technical Documentation (or sometimes called Technical File) in a timely fashion when called upon to do so. The CE Marking itself is not meant to provide details about the product to Surveillance Authorities.

Technical Documentation (Technical File): The directives require for many products that a Technical Documentation (Technical File) be prepared by the manufacturer. The Technical Documentation (Technical File) holds information that verifies that the testing was conducted properly and that the product complies with applicable standards.

mark handler said:
I build it okay, no need to inspect my work.
Well isnt that kind of the UL process

Product gets tested

Manufacture makes it and stamps it

UL comes for coffee once I awhile

In an earlier post I said that not all NRTLs can perform field evaluations.

I tried to find out more about which NRTLS are allowed to perform field evaluations and wasn't able to find any mention of it on the internet. So I think it may be my AHJ that made the determination. I know that we audit the NRTLs that we accept field evaluations from.

This link takes you to OSHAs list of NRTLs: https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

Last edited by a moderator:
cda said:
IFC605.4 Multiplug adapters. Multiplug adapters, such as cube adapters, unfused plug strips or any other device not complying with NFPA 70 shall be prohibited.

605.4.1 Power tap design. Relocatable power taps shall be of the polarized or grounded type, equipped with overcurrent protection, and shall be listed in accordance with UL 1363.

605.7 Appliances. Electrical appliances and fixtures shall be tested and listed in published reports of inspected electrical equipment by an approved agency and installed and maintained in accordance with all instructions included as part of such listing.

605.10 Portable, electric space heaters. Where not prohibited by other sections of this code, portable, electric space heaters shall be permitted to be used in all occupancies other than Group I-2 and in accordance with Sections 605.10.1 through 605.10.4.

Exception: The use of portable, electric space heaters in which the heating element cannot exceed a temperature of 212°F (100°C) shall be permitted in nonsleeping staff and employee areas in Group I-2 occupancies.

605.10.1 Listed and labeled. Only listed and labeled portable, electric space heaters shall be used.
We only enforce a few(if any) sections of the IFC here. I've also got a call into NFPA/NEC to get their take on it. The section of the NEC my inspector cited was 110 (Electrical installations). I personally think it's shaky due to that fact that it wasn't installed. I even looked for the definition of "installation" in the NEC and IBC just in case. Nothing. I would not be surprised if they don't require it. Thank you all for the input.

Joker said:
We only enforce a few(if any) sections of the IFC here. I've also got a call into NFPA/NEC to get their take on it. The section of the NEC my inspector cited was 110 (Electrical installations). I personally think it's shaky due to that fact that it wasn't installed. I even looked for the definition of "installation" in the NEC and IBC just in case. Nothing. I would not be surprised if they don't require it. Thank you all for the input.
Are you leaning to say the appliances do not have to have a listing, or not going to look for one??

Commercial electrical deep fat plug in?

tmurray said:
Another questions is if they have the authority to enforce the requirement they are stating. If I know something violates a law in any form that I am not legally able to enforce, I notify the individual of the potential problem as a courtesy. If there is a significant life safety threat such as, improper installation of a bulk storage liquid propane gas tank, I also notify the authority having jurisdiction.
http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/coffee-break/cb_fp_2015_30.pdf

Rick18071 said:
So if the electric water heater is plugged in we should not inspect it?
It's piped in....but good point....and does the manufacturer allow a plug?

105.2 Work exempt from permit. Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

Electrical:

Repairs and maintenance: Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

APPROVED. Acceptable to the code official or authority having jurisdiction.

Rick18071 said:
I would say that a water heater is connected permanently to the water supply, so it's plumbing.

A small machine plugged into the wall is a stand alone unit.

How many cabinet shops are inspected for compliance or its saws, shapers, sanders, etc.?

That would be more the slimy territory of OSHA I would think.

Brent.

It's not complicated. If it is hard wired or fixed in place it gets inspected. There's all sorts of stuff that's cord and plug equipped that gets inspection and many more that don't.

The equipment that's brought up in this thread is sewing machines and leather cutting machines. They are required to be listed. They are tools and OSHA is the place to go if they are not listed. A building inspector can enforce OSHA regulations. I do that if it is a safety concern but the op hasn't revealed any of that. If the issue is that there is no listing but there is no apparent safety concern such as missing guards or obvious finger traps, notify OSHA and let OSHA take on the responsibility.

Rick18071 said:
If a water heater is plugged in then you should probably turn it down . I have never seen an electric water heater that came with cord and plug and it would not be compliant to use one unless it was listed for the appliance.. There is also this in article 422

422.43(B) Other Heating Appliances. All other cord-and plugconnectedelectrically heated appliances shall be connected

with one of the approved types of cord listed in Table 400.4,

selected in accordance with the usage specified in that table.
I would also bet the installation instructions would either state that the cord must be listed for a heater if it would allow a cord to be used at all