• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

4 exits required - 3 interior exit stairways and 1 exit access stairway provided

hapyhour

I am on the 6th floor of a building and need to exit over 1000 people (4 exits) from that floor.
the floor has 3 exits , each separated far away from each other, that lead into 3 separate interior access stairs that lead direct to the discharge.

Can I add a 4th exit access stair in the middle of the building that then leads to an exit on the 5th floor that goes into one of these three interior access stairs.
my total travel distance is fine.

I see this similar to a single story building where I have an exit passageway with multiple exits into it, that lead to a single exit discharge.

No. The story is required to have four exits or access to four exits. Using an exit access stairway from the 6th story is permissible, but it must lead to a separate exit stairway on the 5th story and not one of the other three exit stairways. Refer to IBC Section 1006.3, which states the "means of egress system serving any story or occupied roof shall be provided with the number of separate and distinct exits or access to exits..."

Section 1006.3.1 states that the egress travel can pass through one adjacent story. per 1006.3 access to the fourth exit is provided via the fourth stairway leading to the fourth separate and distinct exit access on the 5th floor below. The shared interior stairway would be no different than a shared exit passageway which would be allowed to have multiple exit access points.

Section 1006.3.1 states that the egress travel can pass through one adjacent story. per 1006.3 access to the fourth exit is provided via the fourth stairway leading to the fourth separate and distinct exit access on the 5th floor below. The shared interior stairway would be no different than a shared exit passageway which would be allowed to have multiple exit access points.
Further...access to exits is achieved on that floor via the exit access at the exit access stairway. By definition the exit access doorway is the access point where the path of egress enters the exit access stairway.

Yes, an exit access stairway can be used from the 6th story to the 5th story. However, if the occupants using the exit access stairway are required to enter one of the three exit stairways that could have been accessed on the 6th story, then they are not provided a separate and distinct means of egress.

Once the OL entering the 5th floor via the exit access stairway, then the 5th floor is looked at for exiting. Exiting is per story and adding the OL coming from the 6th floor to the 5th floor, the 5th floor only requires 3 exits.
The exiting is required per story and the code now states that each story is looked at individually and there is not a cumulative OL that needs to be applied as you move down the building.

Once the OL entering the 5th floor via the exit access stairway, then the 5th floor is looked at for exiting. Exiting is per story and adding the OL coming from the 6th floor to the 5th floor, the 5th floor only requires 3 exits.
The exiting is required per story and the code now states that each story is looked at individually and there is not a cumulative OL that needs to be applied as you move down the building.

Huh?

CBC 1006.3 Egress from stories or occupied roofs: The means of egress system serving any story or occupied roof shall be provided with the number of separate and distinct exits or access to exits based on the aggregate occupant load served in accordance with this section. Where stairways serve more than one story, only the occupant load of each story considered individually shall be used in calculating the required number of exits or access to exits serving that story.

"each story considered individually" Just because 4 exits or exit access are required and provided on the 6th floor that does not mean the 5th floor would require the same number. the 5th floor would be calculated as it's own story and the exits serving that story would need to equal what is required by the OL.

Here's what the Commentary states:

Once the number of means of egress is determined,​
those paths must remain available until occupants​
leave the building (see Commentary Figure​
1006.3.1). The need for exits to be independent of​
each other cannot be overstated. Each occupant of​
each floor must be provided with the required number​
of exits without having to pass through one exit to​
gain access to another. Each exit is required to be
independent of other exits to prohibit such areas from
merging downstream and becoming, in effect, one
exit.

hapyhour, are you an ICC member? If so, submit the question to them using their staff opinion service and see what they have to say.

I will check to see if my firm has membership with ICC

Each exit on the floor is independent, does not merge and is continuous to the discharge.
All four of the egreess paths from the 6th floor is not required to be exits, as one exit access stairway is allowed to connect between two floors.
Therefore all the exits (three) provided on the 6th floor are independent and do not merge.

1006.3.2 states that each story shall have the minimum number of separate and distinct exits or access to exits. Both 6th and 5th floor, each story, meet this requirement.

Each occupant on each floor never has to pass through one exit to gain access to another.

Each exit on the floor is independent, does not merge and is continuous to the discharge.
All four of the egreess paths from the 6th floor is not required to be exits, as one exit access stairway is allowed to connect between two floors.
Therefore all the exits (three) provided on the 6th floor are independent and do not merge.

1006.3.2 states that each story shall have the minimum number of separate and distinct exits or access to exits. Both 6th and 5th floor, each story, meet this requirement.

Each occupant on each floor never has to pass through one exit to gain access to another.

Do you want people to

Enter a stair

That leads to a floor corridor

That than leads to another stair??

I disagree with you. Ron has accurately responded to your inquiry.

You must remember that the exit access stairway is not an exit, but is a portion of the MOE system that leads to an exit. In this context, what you are proposing is an alternate pathway to the same exit. Two paths towards the exit, but only one exit provided.

I suggest that you look into providing a horizontal exit per the CA equivalent to IBC Section 1026.

The 6th floor is required to have (4) separate and distinct exits, or access to (4)separate and distinct exits. The exit access stair connecting the 5th & 6th floor must lead to one of the (4) required separate and distinct exits. However the exit access stair leads to one of the other (3) exit currently being used by the 6th floor, and not a separate and distinct 4th exit as required, I could make the argument that this 'open stair' is not an exit access stair because it doesn't meet the criteria. Its actually an open communicating stair and not allowed to be part of the path of egress.

The 6th floor is required to have (4) separate and distinct exits, or access to (4)separate and distinct exits. The exit access stair connecting the 5th & 6th floor must lead to one of the (4) required separate and distinct exits. However the exit access stair leads to one of the other (3) exit currently being used by the 6th floor, and not a separate and distinct 4th exit as required, I could make the argument that this 'open stair' is not an exit access stair because it doesn't meet the criteria. Its actually an open communicating stair and not allowed to be part of the path of egress.
Tim, I have to disagree with the latter part of your response. An open communicating stair can be a means of egress pathway. Section 1019.3 provides eight conditions in which only one must be met for an exit access stairway to not be enclosed. Condition #1 allows an unenclosed exit access stairway that connects only two stories.

Tim, I have to disagree with the latter part of your response. An open communicating stair can be a means of egress pathway. Section 1019.3 provides eight conditions in which only one must be met for an exit access stairway to not be enclosed. Condition #1 allows an unenclosed exit access stairway that connects only two stories.
But my argument is that in the OP's situation his open stair does not qualify as an exit access stair because it does not lead to an exit.

Need pictures

I am lost, does he want to enter a rated enclosure,

Than come out of the rated enclosure,

Than back into a rated enclosure??

If so,,,, Continuity problem???

Need pictures

I am lost, does he want to enter a rated enclosure,

Than come out of the rated enclosure,

Than back into a rated enclosure??

If so,,,, Continuity problem???
He has 3 exits. He needs 4. The proposed solution is to add an MOE from the 6th storey to the 5th. On the 5th storey, the MOE would take occupants back into one of the 3 exits.

Thank you all for your discussion. I was able to confirm informally with ICC that the horizontal exit will be our solution to provide the compliant number of exits on the 6th floor.

I take existing building.

Will be interesting on how they get a code compliant two hour wall in