• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

404.1 item 4

Inspector 88

The above code section states ".......... and be flat blocked with min. 2x4 blocking elsewhere." Where is elsewhere? All the panel edges in the floor diaphragm? Hard to figure what the intent is even.

Re: 404.1 item 4

which IRC version are you looking at?

I think it came in in 2006 .. no one understood it.. so out in 2009

No, some of use understand. They is some good data on the masonry sites. Really not much difference in blocking wood joist in high wind areas. Stops racking of joist when load is applied at right angles. Full blocking first two joist in and 2x4 after that. :idea:

"Full blocking first two joist in and 2x4 after that."

2x4 after that where? At panel edges? 48" o.c.? 24"o.c.?

Flat blocking would imply panel edges, but if it's flat it doesn't really help with joist racking unless they want it at the bottom of the joist but the code doesn't specify.

Just adopt the 2009 IRC and don't worry about it! :D

Mule,

I agree. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the State (WA) to get done debating the "finer" points of the code prior to adopting it on July 1.

I'm thinking there must be a reason it was removed from the code so if it meets the '09 I'll run with it as an alternate method. I'm not going to hold it up based on confusing code language. It really is poorly written. I'm surprised it made it through the code hearings.

2x4 blocking after two bays of full blocking, 2 x 4 at bottom of joist.

If 09 deletes it then I would not worry. I would make sure it was not mored someplace. Would look changes for 09 and find out what the change was about. It should clarify the issue. :|

Blocking is certainly most important in high wind and seismic areas..

I suspect the reason all the blocking/bracing provision got written out was because no one understood how and when to enforce them.

Last edited by a moderator: